Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Have questions about C4 Corvette suspensions for your Tri5? Ask them here!

Registered Member

Member #:2220
    Hi, I have a 57 truck and I already have the 84 corvette. I want to do front and back suspention. What all do I need to install this in my truck? Thanks mike

Member #:115
    Mike, I don't offer a kit to modify truck frames for a C4 suspension. You might check with Flatout Engineering or Progressive Automotive, as I think at least one of them has a kit to do the job.

If you want to do it yourself, set the frame where you want it off the ground, set the suspensions up at the proper ride height, and figure out how to mate the two together. Good luck.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2442
    I'm working on a C4 conversion on my 55 2 door sedan. I am close to the point of building the motor mounts and trying to figure out engine position. It looks like the engine will have to moved back from stock with firewall mods needed, or moved up and slightly forward for the balancer an pulleys to clear the C4 steering rack. This is for a small block chevy. I have a 4 speed with the stock bellhousing . Does this sound right, or am I missing something.
    Thanks,

We usually put a SBC 3/4" forward from stock. The damper has to sit over the top of the steering rack to avoid firewall modification. That's pretty much the case with any engine.

So the questions is, are you wanting a stock unmodified firewall or are you willing to modify it? If you try to use the stock C4 mounts, your engine will be back several inches into the firewall and offset to the passenger side. We cut them off.

Got any pics?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2442
    That's what I figured based on the measurements. I guess I'll wait till I have the body back on the frame to decide what way to go. I'd rather have the engine back and lower down for better weight distribution and center of gravity, but lots more work to recess the fire wall, which affects a bunch of stuff under the dash too. Attached a few pics. The last one is what I want final ride height to be.
    Thanks, for the input, Your frames look great.100_1941.jpg100_1942.jpg100_1943.jpg100_1245.jpg

Member #:3124
    Chevynut.

I sent you a PM earlier today , prior to finding this post.

I'm in need of C4 front IRS dimensions..

Michael..

Member #:3124
    Chevnut,

Thanks for the feedback.

I've decided to have the frame rails bent at AME, their located in Fife Wa, not that much of a drive from my place to pickup the rails and some other parts. And I favor a one piece frame rails. I'm just not wanting to fabricate complete frame rails yet again, and the price quote was significant less than I had expected.. We'll complete the frame rails drawings on Solid works. This is s soon as I finalize on the rear upper control arm angle, based on the IC etc.

Have you deviated from the "10 deg OEM" rear upper control arm angle in your builds ?

I decided rather than purchase a Dana 44 diffy and Bat wing plus the expensive rebuild to go with Dutchman's Aluminum 9 inch inch IRS. In the end the $$ spend is nearly the same and the 9 inch is significantly stronger and many more options. Mounting is a little easier and Dutchman's offer a cross member for the diffy case, which certainly make my life easier.

We will be fabricating the front suspension new cross member two inches narrower then (1988 and up) C4 OEM width. We've got the Rack selected and this member will mate to the new fame rails. appreciate your feed back !!

But, This project will be put on hold for about a month. I'm going in for my first knee replacement at the local V.A. Hospital next week, and I'm so very anxious to get this done. I'm sure to be stir crazy for a few weeks. But it's a one day event and I'll be walking in a few hours after the surgery.

I'll send you photos as we progress re the C4 suspension. Thanks again.

Michael....

Quote Originally Posted by oceangoer View Post
    Have you deviated from the "10 deg OEM" rear upper control arm angle in your builds ?
    Sorry, I don't understand your question. What rear upper control arm are you talking about? I use the stock C4 suspension geometry front and rear with the exception of the dropped rear toe adjuster which relocates the pivot points lower. I'm not sure how that affects the toe change, but Newman has used it on hundreds of builds, as have others, so it doesn't concern me.

I decided rather than purchase a Dana 44 diffy and Bat wing plus the expensive rebuild to go with Dutchman's Aluminum 9 inch inch IRS. In the end the $$ spend is nearly the same and the 9 inch is significantly stronger and many more options.
    I rebuilt my Dana 44 and it wasn't that expensive even with the new 4.10 Viper (Dana) gears. I may have had $600 or so in it including the new gears (bought on eBay) and paying the local shop to set the ring and pinion up for me. They can be had for $1000 or so for the differential/batwing alone, and the Dutchman costs $1250 for just the housing...then you have to get the carrier, gears, mounts, and all the other parts needed. I'm betting you're into it for $3000 when it's all said and done. Then you'll need custom halfshafts, strut rods, etc. How do you plan to deal with the toe adjuster? Lots of custom fab work to implement that. Why not go with the Newman Dana 44 case or one from Street Shop? As far as strength, I have read that the Dana Super 44 or Dana 44 HD as it's often called is as strong as a 12 bolt GM rearend. And it's reported that the 12 bolt is as strong as a 9" Ford rear but I don't know for sure. Do you know the torque rating on a 9" differential?

We will be fabricating the front suspension new cross member two inches narrower then (1988 and up) C4 OEM width.
    You should be at about 60" with a 2" narrower wheel mounting surface. Curious why you didn't go to 59" which is closer to stock tri5 width after going thru all that work. Have you checked into the kits that Flat Out Engineering offers for trucks? Maybe one of those would work and save you some fab time.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:530
    Have you checked into the kits that Flat Out Engineering offers for trucks?
    I don't know if he did, but I just did and for about $3K I can get their front and rear C4 kit for my 59 Apache. All I have to come up with is the usual C4 bolt on parts. I'm now getting the idea that the truck needs to get Corvette suspension to go along with my Nomad's corvette setup.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:1653
    sweet

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast