Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
Sorry, I don't understand your question. What rear upper control arm are you talking about? I use the stock C4 suspension geometry front and rear with the exception of the dropped rear toe adjuster which relocates the pivot points lower. I'm not sure how that affects the toe change, but Newman has used it on hundreds of builds, as have others, so it doesn't concern me.

I'm referring to the rear upper control arm (not the lower) "Dog Bone" that sits at 10 degrees relative to horizontal plane. The recommendations that I get are to lower to 8 degrees.

I'll be flipping the toe rods upside down a well, and cutting the spring perches of the rear spindles.

How are you handling the Ackerman with the longer WB, and does it remain a Positive ??

I rebuilt my Dana 44 and it wasn't that expensive even with the new 4.10 Viper (Dana) gears. I may have had $600 or so in it including the new gears (bought on eBay) and paying the local shop to set the ring and pinion up for me. They can be had for $1000 or so for the differential/batwing alone, and the Dutchman costs $1250 for just the housing...then you have to get the carrier, gears, mounts, and all the other parts needed. I'm betting you're into it for $3000 when it's all said and done. Then you'll need custom halfshafts, strut rods, etc. How do you plan to deal with the toe adjuster? Lots of custom fab work to implement that. Why not go with the Newman Dana 44 case or one from Street Shop? As far as strength, I have read that the Dana Super 44 or Dana 44 HD as it's often called is as strong as a 12 bolt GM rearend. And it's reported that the 12 bolt is as strong as a 9" Ford rear but I don't know for sure. Do you know the torque rating on a 9" differential?

I haven't found any Dana 44 complete for that low of a price. Narrowing the half shafts depends on wheel offset or typically each half shaft will require slightly over and inch cut, I don't have that number handle , My adjustable camber rods will remain original length, but a lower cradle wilt need to be fabricated. dana 44 with bat wing,,Locally their $1800.

I spoke with Newman a month or so ago, nice long conversation. He is retired and company is closed. He did tell me that he still had a few cases and other parts at that time ,. But he did not return my email and his web site seems to be shut down.

You should be at about 60" with a 2" narrower wheel mounting surface. Curious why you didn't go to 59" which is closer to stock tri5 width after going thru all that work. Have you checked into the kits that Flat Out Engineering offers for trucks? Maybe one of those would work and save you some fab time.
Yes, I know Don well, he's a great resource. I recently sent Don my excess collection of C4 suspensions parts that I don't need. I' getting quite a few small parts from Don. @ inch cut works for y wheel selection and the Mustang II rach is exactly 2 inches narrower and the pivot points.