Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: wiring hei distributor on 1957 chevy belair

Registered Member

Member #:1462

wiring hei distributor on 1957 chevy belair

I have a 1957 chevy belair that I am putting back together. I have converted to HEI ignition I need help wiring so that I can obtain spark while cranking and when started. I took the resistor block off and was thinking connect all of the wires from the block together should work. that is 2 tans and 2 green wires together. But I need help as I want to make sure I am on the correct path to setting up the hei distributor with stand alone coil. I then have the wires from distributor running up to coil + and - . I am thinking I need to run a 14 gauge wire from back of starter switch to HEI coil + but the question is which lead to hook up to and am I thinking corect. please respond to williabass@yahoo.com if you have an answer for me on the proper wiring of an HEI distributor on a 57 chevy.
    Thanks
    BILLR57

Member #:230
    Plug the three prong connector from the dist body into the cap, it only goes in one way, then from fuse box term marked IGN or IGNITION, run a 12 guage wire through the firewall to the B term on the cap, that should be all you need to do to make it work. most GM vehicles supply a clean 12 volts, both start and run key positions. If yours doesn't supply this power at start position, run wire from the R terminal on ther starter solenoid to the B on the cap, AND the IGN term, system should work fine.
    Last edited by 56-210Sedan; 12-08-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Registered Member

Member #:1462
    I am running an msd style small body distributor with sepaerate msd coil. Standard GM HEI will not fit do to firewall clearance issues. So small body HEI is way to go. Just need to get it wired correctly. Thanks for responding