Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: A/C question

Member #:495

A/C question

Sorry but another A/C question--you guys must think I do not know what I am doing--Went to put the evaporator box in today--pain in the butt by myself,but it went up there and the brackets don't line up with any of the holes from the old heater. Read and read through the instructions and I am doing what it said. The only way I can see it working is by removing one of the pad push pins and using that hole to hold the evaporator up. Is this correct or what. Sooner or later I am going to have A/C or back to the roll windows down and drive 70. Thanks all

Member #:115
    What brand is your A/C? I'm pretty sure VA uses one of the pad button holes.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Sure fit from Vintage Air--directions are no help as to what hole sot use

Member #:230
    Ken i apologize up front as i have never done a install or seen one done for what you have but here is a link i borrowed from South Coast rides http://www.southcoastrides.com/vintair.htm if this does not help then i would contact Rich at the shop or one of the other people there, i have heard only good things about this place and this will be were i buy my AC setup when and if that day ever comes, hope this helps.
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I know Rich at Southcoast and he's a great guy, but he has no dog in this fight. Contact VA direct, they are very willing to help you out in these matters.

Sorry I canm't help on this either, as my VA unit is cable operated. On that one the installation instructions are very clear as to what holes to use. I find it hard to believe that the servo unit instructions are not clear either.

Well I got it mounted in place after tearing up the firewall pad. It used the push pins hole for the firewall pad, not the old heate box mounting hole as the directions say. Will have to pull it back out to either put new pad or sound deadener on. Did find out if I ground down the lip on the blower motor hole that the unit went in a lot easier. Thanks for ideas and suggestions. Have a good one.

Registered Member

Member #:610
    Quote Originally Posted by reborn55 View Post
    Well I got it mounted in place after tearing up the firewall pad. It used the push pins hole for the firewall pad, not the old heate box mounting hole as the directions say. Will have to pull it back out to either put new pad or sound deadener on. Did find out if I ground down the lip on the blower motor hole that the unit went in a lot easier. Thanks for ideas and suggestions. Have a good one.
    I tore up a brand new insulation pad trying to install a Gen 4 Vintage Air evaporator unit under the dash on my 1957 Chevrolet. It was very tight (had to remove the carpet because I needed every little bit of space to get the evaporator unit under the dash). As far as getting the brackets to line up to the bolt holes they were intended for...that was another hassle. I remember having to use a piece of all thread at one point and someone hanging over the passenger fender looking at when I had the all thread lined up with the hole in the firewall so that I could begin screwing in the all thread thru the firewall. The passenger seat was removed and I was on my back holding up the evap unit and trying to screw in the all thread. It was a pain in the back.

To top it all off...just recently, during this past summer, I noticed that no cold air was coming out of the dash vents. I found that the flap/door behind the center dash vent no longer responds to the control switch. I now need to make some time to trouble shoot it. If I turn the unit on (by fan switch) the only air that comes out is from the defrost vents below the windshield. One thing I do notice is that when I put the key in the ignition and switch it to the on position, sometimes I can hear the van blowing as if the switch was on a low speed (it doesn't happen every time though). If I have to remove this particular unit, I am going to switch to a cable unit.

It did work good when I first got it installed. I ended up installing a sheet of aluminum insulation between the firewall and the evaporator unit after it was installed (not as hard as you think, it was easier than installing the evap unit).

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Best way on a modified car is to forget the original or repro pad and install Dynamat or a clone for noise insulation, then some thermal insulation over that. Then run the carpet up far enough that you don't see its edge. Or if you already have carpet that has the edge at the stock location, add more above it.

Michael--my wifes coupe acts like yours does. Always getting air from floor vents and a/c ducts. I stuff foam in the heat ducts in the summer. Seal has worn off the flapper that diverts air. Vintage air said s a normal problem..They can rebuild or sell me a new unit

Rick--I have already started running insulation on the firewall--am going to order new carpeting and then cut a piece off the old carpeting to cover the insulation on the firewall.

Thanks