Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 57 Nomad Quarter panels replacement

Member #:611

57 Nomad Quarter panels replacement

This is only my second post.
    Can't find anyone who sell a full quarter panels for a 57 nomad. I need some advice. Could i use a 2 door hard top panels and cut, butt weld the top area, and also around the fin area.... or there is and other way. Sure could use some advice.:
    Thanks,
    Hawaiian

Registered Member

Member #:610
    Two different builds that are documented online...Google:
    Chevynut, picturetrail, nomad

...and then google:
    Wade linger, nomad

You'll find a wealth of information at their websites documenting their Nomad builds. Sorry I didn't post any links. I'm on my phone and it is difficult to navigate between pages and remain logged in so I can paste the links.

Member #:3
    Hi Hawaiian .

Here are a couple of links that might help you !
    First one is the replacement part.
    Second one is step by step replacement .

http://www.rustrepair.com/55_57_chev...ter_panels.htm

http://www.tachrev.com/JeffLilly/quarter_replace.pdf

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:115
    To my knowledge here are no wagon quarters repopped, except for the '55 Nomad quarters. I replaced both quarters on my '56 Nomad using HT quarters, and had to cut the "dip" out to make them wagon quarters.

First of all, DO NOT make a diagonal cut on the quarter as is often recommended (see pic below). I cut my passenger quarter that way, and it caused a lot more warpage than I expected. On the driver's quarter, I made a 90 degree cut, with a larger radius at the corner. I also cut both sides about 5/8" behind the door jamb. This is because on my car, the quarters were way too long. It may not be a problem on a 57, so you could use the jamb area. However, usually the bend at that location isn't as sharp as the stock quarters.

I think there's a lot less welding on a 57, since the tail fin is split and covered with trim. I ended up leaving my original driver's tailight opening in place, since the new ones were poorly formed on the new quarters.

Here's a pic of how I did mine.

Again, DO NOT do it like this:

Here's some pics of my driver's quarter replacement:

In the first pic, you can see the cut line on what's left of the quarter...

Then I fitted and tacked the new quarter in place...

Finally, I welded and planished the entire weld...

Then I epoxy primed it...

If I were to do it again, I might remove the dip and add the new formed piece to the quarter before fitting it to the car. That way, you can planish and shrink the quarter a lot easier with it off the car.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:611
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    To my knowledge here are no wagon quarters repopped, except for the '55 Nomad quarters. I replaced both quarters on my '56 Nomad using HT quarters, and had to cut the "dip" out to make them wagon quarters.

First of all, DO NOT make a diagonal cut on the quarter as is often recommended (see pic below). I cut my passenger quarter that way, and it caused a lot more warpage than I expected. On the driver's quarter, I made a 90 degree cut, with a larger radius at the corner. I also cut both sides about 5/8" behind the door jamb. This is because on my car, the quarters were way too long. It may not be a problem on a 57, so you could use the jamb area. However, usually the bend at that location isn't as sharp as the stock quarters.

I think there's a lot less welding on a 57, since the tail fin is split and covered with trim. I ended up leaving my original driver's tailight opening in place, since the new ones were poorly formed on the new quarters.

Here's a pic of how I did mine.

Again, DO NOT do it like this:

Here's some pics of my driver's quarter replacement:

In the first pic, you can see the cut line on what's left of the quarter...

Then I fitted and tacked the new quarter in place...

Finally, I welded and planished the entire weld...

Then I epoxy primed it...

If I were to do it again, I might remove the dip and add the new formed piece to the quarter before fitting it to the car. That way, you can planish and shrink the quarter a lot easier with it off the car.
    Thank You All for your suggestion. I guess i have a lot of work ahead of me. Which company quarter panels should i get? There is a lot of people selling these quarter panels.
    Thanks Guys
    Mahalo,
    Hawaiian

I have only used the CARS quarters, so I can't comment on the others. I think Sherman makes one quarter that's sold by many distributors and dealers including CARS, while some Taiwan outfit named "Goldstar" makes the others. The Taiwan ones are black EDP, while the Sherman quarters are bare steel.

The quality of the Sherman quarters leaves a lot to be desired, IMO. As I mentioned, the 56 quarters are too long, the door openings are too rounded, and the taillight openings plain suck. I think I even had to re-bend the rocker area a little. At least we have something to work with....but for $750 you'd think they'd be better.

Good luck. Be sure to ask if you have any questions. Remember, go slow and planish all welds as you go.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I had similar problems to Chevynut with my Sherman/EMI quarters on my 55 door sedan, except they were not the wrong length, and the taillight openings weren't all that bad. I kept my taillight openings though because I had already fixed the factory's ill fitting openings. What I did have to work on was the detail around the wheel cutout, and the rocker area was not bent far enough. Other than that I used the same methods.

EMI (Experi Metal Inc) makes the US made panels that CARS, Danchuk, and Eckler's sell, as well as others. Eckler's and Danchuk sell Goldstar also.

I don't think Goldstar has any 56 panels yet. Reports are their 55 2 door sedan panels seem to have similar problems to the EMI panels in the wheel cutout and maybe other areas. I don't know anything about their 57 2 door sedan panels. On a wagon/Nomad, you're up against the same problems on the belt line with either supplier.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 12-30-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Yes Rick, you're right. I had in my head that Sherman made the US panels, but it is EMI. In fact, I saw them at SEMA in the Roadster Shop booth with a new 55 convertible body and talked to one of the reps. I think Sherman is a wholesaler/distributor, and CARS is a dealer, or something like that. Who knows how this distribution network stuff is set up. Actually I think one of them is the designer/tooling guys and the other is the actual stamping facility.

And I believe you're right about Goldstar not making 56 quarter panels yet. I haven't kept up to date on that. So the EMI/Sherman panels that are available from dozens of daelers are your only choice for a 56.

But I know that Goldstar makes 57 quarters for both sedans and hardtops. I'm not sure which I'd choose for a wagon application, but I think I'd go with the sedan quarter since the dip isn't so pronounced. To me, that implies a smaller cutout area....I think.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I don't know the whole mfr/distributor/jobber/retailer structure on the US made panels, but EMI is the manufacturer, and Sherman is a distributor, there may be others. I got my 55 panels from H&H, and they were drop shipped from Sherman. But I think you can buy from Sherman. You won't save any money if you order from a good retailer.

I think there's a similar network for the Goldstar panels.

You're right, the dip in the belt line is farther back on the sedan vs. the hardtop. For a wagon, you're going to cut away the window frame area and the trunk lid area of a Goldstar quarter anyway. I don't think the location of the dip is as critical in making the choice as the other details. If those choices were the same, then the ht panel would cover more of the wagon's quarter panel area.

I just took a look at the quarter on my 56 2-door sedan, and it would have been a LOT easier to use it on my Nomad than a HT quarter. The dip is about the same length (~17") but much less pronounced in depth. In fact, the top of the door is level, just like a wagon door. You could get away with only cutting down about 4" from the beltline, and even leave 2-3" behind the door jamb to help maintain shape. That would kep the welds in the curved area, making it a lot easier to keep the shape. Welding and planishing in the flat area of the panel is tough, and some warpage and oilcanning is almost sure to happen. I ended up doing some shrinking in the cut area at the radius, but not much. I pretty much had to cut all the way down to the upper trim line to get the dip out.

After looking at this, I think I'd surely go with the sedan quarter if I was to do this on a wagon, and the sedan quarter was available. I can't find 57 sedan quarters...are they made?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast