Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Headers fro my 55.

Registered Member

Member #:596

Headers fro my 55.

I just replaced a worn out 350 motor in my 55 wagon with an older fresh rebuilt 350 with heads dated 6-30-87. These heads have the center bolt valve covers. My problem is the header I took off the old motor wont fit between the new head and stock steering box. I measured the width of the two motors from the outside edge of the heads and the later heads are evidently approx. 1/2 inch wider.The total width is 1 inch wider than the old motor. There is about 3 inches between the head and steering box. Is there a header I can use that has center tubes that are narrow enough to fit?any suggestions??? Dan.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Are you really sure that the late heads are 1/2" wider across them? I have never run into this previously. And I've messed with a lot of junk. I put Vortec heads on the the 350 in my Nova and everything is exactly the same as it was with the stock 283. A Nova has a worse steering box clearance problem than a 55-57.

There is a combo out there for you. The Earle Williams, Dougs 353, and Hooker 2112 headers will all clear a CPP500 box which is bigger than a stock manual box. I don't recommend Patriots for other reasons but they should clear there too. As will Sanderson block hugger stuff.

Registered Member

Member #:596
    A friend and I both measured the width of the heads more than once and every time it checks out the later heads are wider. Thanks for the info.,I will check into them...