Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing floor pans....

Member #:226

Question Replacing floor pans....

There are braces just a few inches rearward of the toe board/floor pan junction on the bottom of the floor pan--how are these attached? Spot welded or?

Thanks, Guys.

Max

Member #:115
    Yes, all the braces are spot welded to the floor pan. Those two front braces are the only original ones I used when I replaced my floor. All the others are new.

20060926_102.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    Max, if you need a pair, let me know. I think I have a spare set.

Member #:436
    Max you replacing the whole floor or just the braces?

Replacing the floor pans. Plan to take off the supposedly (by looks) good braces & transfer them over. Course my constant work helper, Arthur, doesn't speed things up. As in arthritis. Worked hard on the car yesterday, now I'm off today to let the inflammation die down. And yeah, I'm taking the maximum strength Rx anti-inflamatory. Just get flustered. But it does give me more outlining time so work time is more productive.

I pickled the underside of the Nomad with tons of fiberglass & mat (inside) plus lots of anti-rust paint on the outside, 30 plus years ago after killing a little rust in the pans. This time on the rebuild, I'm planning to put new metal in there then do Lizard skin---unless someone has heard of anything detrimental about Lizard skin. May also use dynamat to replace the jute also. Anything to insulate that cavern of a Nomad.

Replacing the floor pans. Plan to take off the supposedly (by looks--thanks Nick) good braces & transfer them over. Course my constant work helper, Arthur, doesn't speed things up. As in arthritis. Worked hard on the car yesterday, now I'm off today to let the inflammation die down. And yeah, I'm taking the maximum strength Rx anti-inflamatory. Just get flustered. But it does give me more outlining time so work time is more productive.

I pickled the underside of the Nomad with tons of fiberglass & mat (inside) plus lots of anti-rust paint on the outside, 30 plus years ago after killing a little rust in the pans. This time on the rebuild, I'm planning to put new metal in there then do Lizard skin---unless someone has heard of anything detrimental about Lizard skin. May also use dynamat to replace the jute also. Anything to insulate that cavern of a Nomad.

Member #:115
    Max, are you replacing the entire half pans, or just the footwell area? If I were you, and your floors are that bad, I'd just go with the whole assembled replacement floor. I think some day you'll be glad you did. I'm really glad I did mine, even though I had to piece it together from pans and braces and it cost me more than twice as much as the new assembled floors.

02280007.jpg02280012.jpg
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Just the footwells. Everything else was good before pickling & still looks good.

But if I get further into it & find different, I'll follow your sage advice.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by Run-em View Post
    Replacing the floor pans. Plan to take off the supposedly (by looks) good braces & transfer them over. Course my constant work helper, Arthur, doesn't speed things up. As in arthritis. Worked hard on the car yesterday, now I'm off today to let the inflammation die down. And yeah, I'm taking the maximum strength Rx anti-inflamatory. Just get flustered. But it does give me more outlining time so work time is more productive.

I feel your pain - every day Add to that carpal Tunnel - getting old just sucks.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Think real hard about Lizard Skin before committing. The stuff is expensive. A friend of mine used $500+ worth of it on an old Suburban. It wasn't all that thick and didn't pass my "thump test". I've got to think that Dynamat or one of its clones does better for less.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast