Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing floor pans....

Member #:115
    Even Dynamat is WAY expensive, IMO. I bought a bunch of Raammat for my Nomad for a lot less than the same amount of Dynamat would have cost. I'm sure it will be just as good for all practical purposes.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:226

Cool Generic term

I just used Dynamat as a generic term instead of foil backed heat,vibration, and noise insulation.

Member #:1761
    Getting back to replacing floor pans, I have a question? I need to replace the floor pan complete and the inner and outer rockers on our 56 chevy. What would come first the outer rockers or floor pan with braces and inner rockers ? I would think the outer rockers would keep things from moving while a floor pan was cut out and new replacement installed? As our present pan has 70% only metal left in it. And the car is going to need a pass. quarter full pannel. Any tips are apprecieated!

If I was you I'd buy a Taiwanese fully assembled floor for your car. It comes with all braces and inner rockers attached for only around $900. I would leave your outer rockers on if you can, to keep the car together as much as possible. Brace the body if you can, or if needed (probably do on a HT). I would also try to align the doors before you cut the floor out. Then I would raise the body off the frame, and bolt the new floor to the frame with new body mounts. I'd then clean up all the flanges on the floor and body and do any repairs needed. I'd do all the other inner quarter repairs you need to do before installing the floor. Then lower the body onto the new floor and line things up, using the door fit as a guide. Once you like the fit, put screws in to hold everything in place. Then you probably have to remove the screws and raise the body again to drill plug weld holes, prime, or whatever you want to do before installing the floor for good. Drop the body again, install the screws, then start plug welding. Once the floor is in, cut the outer rockers off and install the new ones, but do it along with the new quarter on the passenger side.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Chevynut, Can all this be acomlished with the body on the frame? Also with the same steps you mentioned being floor first then quarters, then outer rockers using a complete floor assembly. I figure when it arrives...to cut the floor pan down center and sliding it in opening for rear window, then going from there. And alian doors before starting project. Thanks for your info. we are preping it now for metal work, stripping chrome and windows off car and some sand blasting in areas.

NO, DO NOT DO THAT!!! Don't cut the floor pan.

The floor pan comes as one piece. It's the quickest, easiest, most economical and best way to replace a floor. Leave it as one piece.

You won't be able to leave the body on the frame. You can cut some of the floor out and do other repairs with the body on, but to install the floor lift the body off the frame. Brace it first. Then put the new floor on the frame and drop the body back down. Any other way will result in inferior quality, imo, and a lot more work.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:436
    Yep do as chevy has said. I think I have pic's of mine when I done it.
    chevy 006.jpg
    chevy 010.jpg
    chevy 017.jpg
    chevy 016.jpg
    chevy 018.jpg
    Hope this help's you a little.

Smooth56, Hey thanks for your self explanitory pics of your metal work. I guess that's are route to go. Have to get some help! Our car definately worth restoring! It's a 56 HT. stick like yours! Geo.

Good luck slowfinger. Keep us up to date with some pics of your own. Sometimes this stuff seems like such a challenging job, but when it all goes together it's definitely worth it. I put my floor together piece by piece with new pans and braces, and inner rockers. What a long, tough job. Back then assembled floors were almost $3000. I still paid around $2000 for mine, and took 6 weeks of my spare time to put it all back in.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Well just towed the 56 over to the winter garage. This spring we will sandblast the rust and then with your great help, pull the body off for the floor instalation. Hope to get pics along the way! Probably do the body stuff in my driveway as our garage isn't big enough. Here in Ill. anyway. Last chrome top of window runners comes off soon! Maybe look at the brakes this winter too. Geo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast