Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS & 4L60 Install - Tri Five 1955, 1956 or 1957 Chevy

Member #:1653

LS & 4L60 Install - Tri Five 1955, 1956 or 1957 Chevy

A while back, it was time to throw the LS into Geoff's 55Vert, yup, he broke down after months of brainwashing, bamboo shoots under thenails and a little waterboarding.
    Geoff decided to use a Street and Performance Motor Mountkit for this install; what follows is the basic install following the suppliedsheet. The instruction sheet left alittle to be desired.
    Starting with Geoff's frame (again this is a 55 a vert), Ilooked over the parts in the kit. At first blush, solid, well made andseemingly complete.

The instruction sheet indicates that the spacing should be19" upon completion of the install.
    I have several pieces of 1/4"x2" Aluminum bar stock, soI laid out the hole pattern and built a jig. It uses 5/8 bolts to hold the twomain parts and maintain the 19”. Certainly, one could use just about anymaterial stiff enough to maintain the dimension.

The hole in the motor mount where the rubber doughnut setsis 1 1/4" in diameter. Interestingly, I had just purchased a bag of boltsthat button up a C4 suspension and located within that bag were two washerswith a 5/8" ID and 1 1/4" OD. Perfect fit.

I assembled the aluminum bar and the mounts with mywashers and bolts, set it in place as it should be and found very little if anydistortion or ill fit. Once located in the center of the chassis, clamped inplace and began to drill the holes, eight in total - 4 ea. @ 25/64"Clearance for 3/8" and 4 @ 21/64" for the 5/16" bolts. I willadd here that the kit does come with all fasteners/washers but I opted forGrade 8 rather than the Grade 5 supplied.

With the mounts all buttoned up, it was time to get theblock ready. Years ago, I purchased ajunk block for this purpose and it has been an easy solution. I found a pair ofLS1 heads and an old intake manifold, front cover and other items along the wayto be able to determine any issues in fitment. The main plates supplied in thekit are made from 1/2" aluminum, nicely machines with very clearindication of the side they go on. Followed by the steel mount and after bothsides were done, I added the 4L60. Got out the forklift and added an extensionto reach into the chassis. Lowered it in and it fits like a glove, well,almost. The tail housing of the trans does rub on the X-Member but that is aneasy fix. Geoff had obtained an odd but useful looking trans crossmember forit, but it is for some other application. It will either get modified orreplaced.

All in all, about 8 hours including making the jig. Next,transmission crossmember.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Those mounts are the spitting image of the ones CCI sells in their 2.25 foward BBC kit.

Member #:115
    Nick, I think those mounts are made by Chassis Engineering, but I can't even find them on their website. They're the same mounts I suggested to another poster in a different thread. I'm curious how far "forward" they actually place the LS engine measured from the bellhousing face location.

From the bellhousing face to the centerline of the SBC engine mount is 15.95" per a GM drawing I have. What does the LS setup measure from the bellhousing face to the center of those side mounts?

I'm pretty darn sure those are just S&P's SBC side mounts with an LS adapter plate.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Those mounts are the spitting image of the ones CCI sells in their 2.25 foward BBC kit.
    I don't think so. Unless the mounts also mount a SBC 2 1/4" forward. Those are SBC mounts for a 55-57 Chevy. I have a friend who used them to mount a Ramjet 350 with side mounts in his 55. I'm not sure if they're designed to move a SBC forward or not.

A BBC is the same length from the bellhousing face to the center of the side mounts as a SBC.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Nick, I think those mounts are made by Chassis Engineering, but I can't even find them on their website. They're the same mounts I suggested to another poster in a different thread. I'm curious how far "forward" they actually place the LS engine measured from the bellhousing face location.

From the bellhousing face to the centerline of the SBC engine mount is 15.95" per a GM drawing I have. What does the LS setup measure from the bellhousing face to the center of those side mounts?

I'm pretty darn sure those are just S&P's SBC side mounts with an LS adapter plate.
    Not certain of the actual manufacturer of the kit I used but it all came from S&P. From the bellhousing to the center of the hole used in the kit that centers the mounts is 14-11/16" +/- 1/32" for a lousy balance on the ladder while measuring.

IMG_0696[1].jpg

Nick, I'm curious what S&P charges for those mounts. Sachse Rod Shop has them in their catalog for $109.95 with the biscuits and they say "engine sits in the same location as original". They are made by Chassis Engineering according to their catalog.

http://www.shop.sachserodshop.com/pr...&categoryId=-1

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I don't recall what Geoff paid for the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    From the bellhousing to the center of the hole used in the kit that centers the mounts is 14-11/16" +/- 1/32" for a lousy balance on the ladder while measuring.
    Hmmmm, that means the engine is only 1 1/4" forward from stock (15.95-14.68) if those are the same Chassis Engineering mounts that Sachse sells. Seems to me that might be pretty tight to the firewall. I move the LSs in my C4 conversions 2 1/4" forward, and they fit well.

Do you have a stock 55-57 bellhousing and mounts that you can use to check the actual placement since you have the bellhousing frame horns still on the frame? Don't want to scare you, but you probably need to find out now if there's any problem. Here's an LS engine 2 1/4" forward in my Nomad with the stock frame. That 55 should be the same.

BTW, where is Geoff? Why isn't he here?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I am a little tec. challanged so it would not work to paste photo from Ecklers site, but if you go to instructions for their part # 18-271 BBC mounts I think you will see what I mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast