Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BATTERY? WHICH ONE (TWO FOR THIS PROJECT)

Member #:225
    Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    Red or yello Mike?
    Standard red top..

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I've always been a bit confused about whether a yellow Optima or a red Optima would be better for a car that's not used daily and may be stored for months with no or limited use.

I tend toward the red top myself for anything with a charging system. Not to say that's right.

Member #:615
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    I have always had excellent service from Sears Diehards and I can't remember ever buying another brand.
    I agree completely. I don't know anything about Optimas, but for a conventional battery, I never had a problem with a Die Hard.

In 2002 I was unemployed. A guy wanted to buy my '57 wagon. The battery was bad. He said to get a battery and he would come back and drive it. If it ran OK he would buy it. So I went to a battery recycler and bought a used Die Hard for $20. The guy never came back to drive the wagon, so I kept the car. The used Die Hard lasted 9 years.

I often let my Die Hards sit for months with no battery tender. They always start my cars.

Member #:115
    The YELLOWTOP® high-performance AGM battery has everything you need. It’s one of the true dual-purpose automotive batteries available. With premium cranking power and impressive cycling capability, it’s perfect for modern accessory-loaded vehicles. The YELLOWTOP can repeatedly be brought back from deep power drains to full charge, so it can power plenty of electronics and still start you up time after time. Low internal resistance also provides more consistent power output and faster recharges.

Trucks with winches, vehicles with high-demand electronics and audio systems, commercial vehicles and heavy equipment can all rely on this battery to provide ultimate starting and deep-cycle power.

The REDTOP® high-performance AGM battery is the ultimate starting battery designed to deliver a powerful burst of ignition power for a reliable start-up every time. The REDTOP will outperform and outlast traditional batteries in demanding cranking/starting applications. With impressive high-power delivery and extreme resistance to the most common causes of battery failure, the REDTOP is ideal for trucks, SUVs, hot rods, street cars and other applications that require a spillproof starting battery.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    So, now that I am totaly confuded................................which one for my application, red or yellow?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Too bad they don't have an orange one.

You got the facts, so choose your own. The red top works fine for a car battery, as long as you keep it charged. Like any car battery, it doesn't like to be discharged very many tims. The yellow top will survive more discharge cycles, while still providing high cranking current......that's why I got that one. The yellow top is more expensive, as I recall.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Is it going to show or be hidden? If it shows, one factor might be which would look "prettier" in the car.

I think the more expensive yellow top battery is a better choice, but it depends on how the car is used. imo. For a daily driver, it may not be worth the extra cost.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:1653
    Duals up front fo this project. Will bw using two of these "http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...II_p_1624.html"boxes, powder coated to compliment.

Member #:611
    I have a red top on my 37 F... for 15 years and it's on a tender all the time when am not using the car. Jmo.............
    Aloha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast