Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ramjet 502 craigslist

Registered Member

Member #:571
    cnut, your engine proves my point - although you probably couldn't duplicate that today as prices have increased.

A "build" doesn't have to be piece by piece from the bottom up in the sense I was thinking of.

Another way to go might be to spend the $11000-12000 and use better components, especially some Brodix or Dart heads.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 55mike View Post
    I understand the early ZZ502's had an issue with ring sealing and excessive oil use. As a matter of fact, I have a close friend who put a ZZ502, FI in his high-end 55 and he is pulling it out and going through the short block due to the fact it uses so much oil. Interestingly, no leaks, and no smoke... but.. it uses waaay too much oil
    Yes, the early engines were "marine" engines that had "low tension" oil rings in them. They did burn oil. I am not sure what mine has in it, but since it's been sitting so long I have decided to go through it, clean it up, and check everything out. I may bump the cam up a bit, maybe add roller rockers, and will probably change the rings out. So much for a "crate engine" eh?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:225
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Yes, the early engines were "marine" engines that had "low tension" oil rings in them. They did burn oil. I am not sure what mine has in it, but since it's been sitting so long I have decided to go through it, clean it up, and check everything out. I may bump the cam up a bit, maybe add roller rockers, and will probably change the rings out. So much for a "crate engine" eh?
    I'm amazed Chevrolet would put something like that out in this day and age... folks buy crate engines to keep from having to deal with the internals with a certain trust factor (especially from the dealer)

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I fail to see the reasoning that a marine engine needs a different oil ring than an automotive engines. They just blew it and they were pretty lazy about fixing it, as it was a well known problem for a while before they changed it.

GM has had other oil consumption problems on OEM engines. Crate engines are just part of the bigger picture. And at the bottom of the list on getting some attention to fixing problems.

Member #:777
    Crate engines are good for those that can't do any assembly or leg work themselves for those that can one can build a better engine for less. Also good for those that live in rural areas without a competent machinist/engine builder avail. Many of those folks have to "order" something and have it shipped to them. Ordering from a reputable GM dealer is probably safer then some of these fly by night so called engine building companies.

Member #:230
    Sorry for not posting sooner, but i was just now able to get back on at the site, i kept getting a message that the server was down? anyway when i mentioned i screwed up posting i meant i should of put it under craigslist,ebay,auctions, etc...
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 55mike View Post
    I'm amazed Chevrolet would put something like that out in this day and age...
    Well, I don't think it's a problem anymore. As you said, it was the early ones. I have read a lot of posts on other forums about people not having oil consumption issues with the newer engines. I actually looked at building my own 540, but by the time you get the machine work done, buy the good parts, and finish it off, the crate engine is a pretty good deal. I think there are some better engines on the market than the GMPP crate engine nowadays. Seems everyone's into it.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Well, I don't think it's a problem anymore. As you said, it was the early ones. I have read a lot of posts on other forums about people not having oil consumption issues with the newer engines. I actually looked at building my own 540, but by the time you get the machine work done, buy the good parts, and finish it off, the crate engine is a pretty good deal. I think there are some better engines on the market than the GMPP crate engine nowadays. Seems everyone's into it.
    Yes, I understand the problem has been solved. My issue is the attention to detail missing from the git-go. The General has produced millions of engines, and thousands of crate engines.. but yet they let the (early) 502 go out the door with a fundamental issue of poor ring sealing. Sad.

55mike, it seems you keep missing the point. The 502 was originally designed to be used as a marine engine. Marine engines need special considerations for rings, because the cylinders run a lot colder than in a car, so the don't expand as much. Also, marine engines run at high RPM a lot of the time. Hence, the desire for low-tension rings in them. In the early days, guys started buying these marine engines for use in their cars, and they used more oil than people expected from a car engine. Once these engines hit the streets, GMPP got a lot of feedback from guys running them, and they changed the specs. If you notice now the 502s say "not intended for marine use". They have made some adjustments to make them suitable for use in cars. So it wasn't like GM screwed up....the engines weren't originally intended for street use.

I don't know what serial numbers are affected. If I can find that out I could determine if mine had low tension rings or not.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

55mike, it seems you keep missing the point. The 502 was originally designed to be used as a marine engine. Marine engines need special considerations for rings, because the cylinders run a lot colder than in a car, so the don't expand as much. Also, marine engines run at high RPM a lot of the time. Hence, the desire for low-tension rings in them. In the early days, guys started buying these marine engines for use in their cars, and they used more oil than people expected from a car engine. Once these engines hit the streets, GMPP got a lot of feedback from guys running them, and they changed the specs. If you notice now the 502s say "not intended for marine use". They have made some adjustments to make them suitable for use in cars. So it wasn't like GM screwed up....the engines weren't originally intended for street use.

I don't know what serial numbers are affected. If I can find that out I could determine if mine had low tension rings or not.
    Point taken. In other words you are saying GM didn't make a mistake per se, it was the design of a "marine engine..." 'spose I can buy that... but in a way makes the issue even worse in my noggin! They KNEW the dang thing wouldn't do well on the street by (their) design.. just as they know the (newer) engine is not for marine use. Amazing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast