Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Ryan's 57 4 door Belair Hardtop Project

Member #:3217
    There is such a tool as a 'broken tap' removal tool... I once had to buy one and use it... If the tap isn't too tightly embedded it will work...

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...nt=952-400-014

You might be able to 'make something that will work if you get four small nail (which fit into the grooves of the tap, but not too tightly), then use pliers and grab all four nails and TURN the tap out (if you're lucky)...

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Notice that the tap extractors that BamaNomad linked were for various numbers of flutes. A 3 flute tap is stronger than a 4 flute, and 2 flute stronger yet. Consider that with your new tap, as well as the recommended tap drill bit size.

The worst one is a 6-32. A 6-32 tap has the smallest cross section of any tap. I remember an exercise in a hangar at Dallas Love Field years ago in my work where about a dozen of us were tapping 6-32 threads in aluminum. They couldn't find enough taps to replace the broken ones. Good news was the broken taps were easy to remove. Probably not so much with 10-32 in steel.

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    There is such a tool as a 'broken tap' removal tool... I once had to buy one and use it... If the tap isn't too tightly embedded it will work...

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...nt=952-400-014

You might be able to 'make something that will work if you get four small nail (which fit into the grooves of the tap, but not too tightly), then use pliers and grab all four nails and TURN the tap out (if you're lucky)...
    Thanks for the link for the tool, I'll give the nail idea a try and if it doesn't work, I'll pick up the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Notice that the tap extractors that BamaNomad linked were for various numbers of flutes. A 3 flute tap is stronger than a 4 flute, and 2 flute stronger yet. Consider that with your new tap, as well as the recommended tap drill bit size.

The worst one is a 6-32. A 6-32 tap has the smallest cross section of any tap. I remember an exercise in a hangar at Dallas Love Field years ago in my work where about a dozen of us were tapping 6-32 threads in aluminum. They couldn't find enough taps to replace the broken ones. Good news was the broken taps were easy to remove. Probably not so much with 10-32 in steel.
    Thanks for the info Rick, makes sense about the flutes...never really thought of it until you mentioned it. I'll steer clear of those 6-32 taps
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213