Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan's 57 4 door Belair Hardtop Project

Member #:115
    Ryan, this chassis we built has a Rick's tank. It clears the swaybar nicely in that position. You can see how it fits....but it's expensive. If he can get $1200 for just a gas tank, my frames are too cheap!!!!

SDC10434.jpgSDC10435.jpgSDC10432.jpgSDC10437.jpg

I think I can recommend a tank that's less than half of the cost of Rick's, but it looks more like a stock tank. The straps would have to be modified as well as the filler tube. It's available in either 16 or 18 gallons.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Ryan, this chassis we built has a Rick's tank. It clears the swaybar nicely in that position. You can see how it fits....but it's expensive. If he can get $1200 for just a gas tank, my frames are too cheap!!!!

I think I can recommend a tank that's less than half of the cost of Rick's, but it looks more like a stock tank. The straps would have to be modified as well as the filler tube. It's available in either 16 or 18 gallons.
    Laszlo how far back (years) is that chassis? I know it's a Rick's tank but the mounts look nothing like that now. The last two out of here had four (4) tabs rather than that long tab.

Nick, that frame was finished in April 2010. The tank was probably bought in 2011. It's my understanding that Ricks will configure the mounts the way you want them to be. Either way, I think the tank itself is probably the same. I wanted to show how it fit with the swaybar.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by hurddawg View Post
    Thanks for the info. More than anything, I was lured in by the CPP tank's 1) cost, 2) frame mount and location (spare tire well intact). I knew the stock tank would need to be replaced but there is not much info on which tanks do work. All I have found in my searching is a Rick's tank that would work, which I may end up doing. They have a 16 gal and a 22gal for a trifive and I am not exactly sure which is the one that fits (Assuming the 16gal, but maybe both) The only reason why I know at least one of the Rick's tank works is because of NCW's photo as attached (I hope he & client doesn't mind). The rear sway isn't installed, but the attachments are on there so I assume it would work. I emailed Rick's and trying to find out. Still a pretty penny in anycase. I also noticed that the tank brackets are bolted in...convenient so I can remove the tank from below instead of removing the cab.

The rear anti-roll (AKA Sway) bar does clear as mentioned elsewhere. The provided tabs (4) have provisions as you noted to be bolted in. I have welded tabs in also. With welded tabs, simply disconnect the four bolts, move the fuel line out of harms way, disconnect wire connection for sender and pump and slide forward 2" and down it comes.

Nick, can you move the tank 2" forward with the swaybar still bolted in?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    My 2002 LS1 engine needs no return line coming from the engine compartment. All it needs is one 3/8 inch diameter fuel line from the tank to the engine.

However, outside the tank, and somwhere near where you mount the tank, you'll need to plumb in a fuel regulator. So you have 2 lines coming from the tank to the regulator (supply and return), and then the one supply line going forward from the regulator to the engine bay.

My setup involves using an aftermarket made tank with an "in tank pump". It's 16 gallons I think. I wish I could have found a larger one, but didnt' want to spend the money for a custom made tank.

You can also go with a tank that uses an external pump, but guys have found those to burn up quickly, AND when there's no baffles inside the tank, you end up with fuel starvation issues when cornering with less than 1/4 tank of fuel.

So look for a tank that has internal baffles, in-tank pump, and fits between your framerails and you're good to go with a later LS engine.

Here's how I did mine...
    Attachment 2169

And I fabricated a bolt-in tank mount to center the tank between the frame rails, and position it up high (since a wagon has alot of space below the floor).
    Attachment 2170
    Thanks for the input. Good point about late model LS with the returnless system. Your tank looks like a modified stock unit...where did you get yours? Taking the advice on the baffles, Rick's tank do have the baffle and the pump is internal. I've also ready the eternal pumps tend to be noisier as well
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Nick, that frame was finished in April 2010. The tank was probably bought in 2011. It's my understanding that Ricks will configure the mounts the way you want them to be. Either way, I think the tank itself is probably the same. I wanted to show how it fit with the swaybar.
    You are spot on regarding Hector building the tank as requested, just remember to request a different system or what was pictured is what you will get. BTY, my last conversation with Hector indicated they have some neat new stuff going on with regards to the pump.

Nick, can you move the tank 2" forward with the swaybar still bolted in?
    It's close! Just barely clears, gotta lift the back just a pinch.

Registered Member

Hector from Rick's got back said its 22gal and price was just under $1400, but free shipping today only. Slick looking tank though. Could you elaborate on your recommendation?
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    The rear anti-roll (AKA Sway) bar does clear as mentioned elsewhere. The provided tabs (4) have provisions as you noted to be bolted in. I have welded tabs in also. With welded tabs, simply disconnect the four bolts, move the fuel line out of harms way, disconnect wire connection for sender and pump and slide forward 2" and down it comes.
    Thanks for confirming that Nick!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast