Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Ryan's 57 4 door Belair Hardtop Project

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Safari View Post
    I think Chevynut said he installed an AME center section for someone, if I recall correctly he said it was a little bit of a PITA when it came to doing the exhaust cutouts.. I'm planning to install one in mine, the difference in rigidity between the frame I pulled out from the pontiac vs. the chevy frame I put in is night and day... .... Wish I could be working on mine, but I'm about to put it in the car hauler in preparation for my move out to Colorado this winter.
    We've done several of them and if you are interested I can give you some tips on the installation when you're ready for it. We had a heck of a time with the first one but we pretty much have it figured out now. If you don't do it right you can make a big mess of it. Be prepared for around 40-50 hours of work since it's your first time....no kidding.

Where are you moving to in Colorado?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    I'm looking at moving to Conifer.. I want to get outside of the city and get some space and build a proper shop... I'm looking at land right now, but I can't do much until I get my house sold.

I'm looking at moving to Conifer.. I want to get outside of the city and get some space and build a proper shop... I'm looking at land right now, but I can't do much until I get my house sold.
    No offense, but that's one of the reasons I'm trying to move to Montana...too damn many people in Colorado!! The population has nearly tripled since I graduated from high school and there's way too many east and west coast libtards and prices are soaring. Hope you find an affordable place!!

"The median home value in Conifer is $537,400. Conifer home values have gone up 6.8% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will rise 4.4% within the next year. The median list price per square foot in Conifer is $372, which is higher than the Denver-Aurora-Lakewood Metro average of $268. The median price of homes currently listed in Conifer is $559,900 while the median price of homes that sold is $586,900. "

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Yeah, my new job is in the southwest corner of downtown Denver so I'm stuck somewhere around there, best job I've ever had though.. I really want to build instead of buy, I'm hoping to find a builder that will build a shell for me and let me finish/sub out the rest, I don't mind taking a 2-3 years to finish a house as long as I have one finished bedroom and bathroom to live in.

Member #:3217
    .. and the City will probably not allow your utilities to be hooked up until you pass a final inspection... Not like living in the country in TN...

I really want to build instead of buy, I'm hoping to find a builder that will build a shell for me and let me finish/sub out the rest, I don't mind taking a 2-3 years to finish a house as long as I have one finished bedroom and bathroom to live in.
    That's pretty much what I did on my place. I bought my 2.3 acre lot and acted as the general contractor, saving me 20% right off the top. I hired an excavator who knew a concrete guy so they completed the basement and foundation for me after I prepped all the gravel and drains in the basement floor. My brother had a good friend who was a builder and he framed it and put the roofing on. I installed all the windows and doors, did all the siding, exterior and interior trim and painting and subbed out pretty much everything else. When I built the first shop I did all the framing, electrical, insulation, and siding and trim. I subbed out the concrete and roof, and drywall. I've also planted around 300 trees and bushes on the place.

I think your big challenge is to find a bank that will fund your construction for 2-3 years and give you a mortgage on an un-finished home. You might want to check to see what it takes to get a certificate of occupancy in Conifer.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Good to know, I might have to get a little creative to make it all work.... My plan is to finance land and drop a pre-made sea container home on the property to live in short term, and I'm hoping I can get that financed... Then build a permanent structure using my own $$$, refinance and sell off the container home... who knows, maybe I'll find what I've been looking for when the time comes, but so far those are few and far between.

Good to know, I might have to get a little creative to make it all work.... My plan is to finance land and drop a pre-made sea container home on the property to live in short term, and I'm hoping I can get that financed... Then build a permanent structure using my own $$$, refinance and sell off the container home... who knows, maybe I'll find what I've been looking for when the time comes, but so far those are few and far between.
    One reasonable way to do it might be to buy the land and run your utilities, then buy an RV or "tiny home" to live in on the property while you build. RVs are comfortable and are pretty cheap almost everywhere if you buy one used. We just bought a tiny home ( actually a park model RV) in Texas and they're pretty nice. Build your shop first with living quarters above it, then sell the RV. Then build the home when you can. Then you can either rent out the living quarters or leave it for guests. I have a friend who did that on 100 acres in Oregon....he bought the land and built a 5500 square foot shop with a 1500 square foot (really nice!) living quarters on one end of the upper level. His plan was to build a house next to it, but his wife decided to find someone else so he bagged that. He still has a really nice place there. Be sure to check any covenants or any other restrictions on the property before you buy. A container might not fly in Conifer, but I don't know. Good luck and look me up when you get to CO.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Thanks for the info, will do.... I was tossing around the shop idea with living quarters in my head.... Here in TN and KY we don't really have a whole lot of rules/regulations unless you're in the middle of a metro area. Good to start wrapping my head around these things that I didn't consider might be hurdles..

Member #:3
    Quote Originally Posted by hurddawg View Post
    Attachment 10190Attachment 10191

Took a couple quick shots of what I have completed over the past few weeks. I'm hoping to get some of the exhaust planned out a bit more over the weekend
    Hi hurddawg,
    Thanks for taking your time to post pictures of your Progress ,This is what we need more members to do !!!

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast