Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan's 57 4 door Belair Hardtop Project

Member #:115
    Ryan, I'm using a Flaming River 35" column in my Nomad. I've pushed it as far forward as I can inside the car, which I recommend. I think the steering wheel is too close to the driver with any tilt column if you don't do that. Had a friend with a 57 using a tilt column (Ididit I believe) in the stock location and it was WAY too close for me. It may be more of a problem doing that with a 57 but Wade did it on his Nomad by trimming the instrument cluster a little. Looks like your headers should give you flexibility in locating the steering shaft. You'll have to notch the engine mount a little to clear the shaft so try to keep the shaft as high and as near the end of the upper a-arm shaft as you can.

Mine is really tight and I hope I didn't screw myself by re-routing the #5 tube.

20170215_005.JPG

20180506_003.JPG
    Last edited by chevynut; 05-18-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    Thanks for the pics Laszlo! You certainly have a tight fit, mine looks absolutely spacious in comparison! I looked up the borgeson universals you recommended. My eyeballs about popped out at the price. I wanted to be sure before picking them up though, is the C4 rack 17mm DD? I'm assuming its metric, but a search really didnt seem to turn up much.

Being you and Rick have the flaming river columns, I think I might have to go that route too. I'm been torn with the 2 companies (Ididit and flaming river), The flaming river being stainless is a nice feature. I am going to try and see what I can do about getting the column in closer to the dash. I've seen some photos of it being done (maybe it was Wade's) and I'd like to attempt it too.

This weekend I did accomplish most of what I wanted to do and then some.
    I did get the passenger side suspension hooked up, along with the coilovers and it went without a hitch. I did get the rack in place as well and can see where Laszlo was talking about notching the engine mount, doesn't look too bad at all. The sway bar is just set in position, I didn't actually get to bolting it to the frame yet.

My Dad and I took apart the core 4L80 on Saturday and had the case and tailshaft housing cleaned/tanked today at the local Transmission shop. So I hope this memorial weekend I will get that bolted up to the foam block and the cross member. Slowly its starting to look like a car!

I had the valve covers in the earlier photos powder coated. I'm very happy with how they turned out.

billetspecialtiesvc.jpg
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Registered Member

I did a bit on tinkering on the frame over the long weekend.

I have the 4l80 case bolted up to the foam block and Laszlo's adjustable crossmember worked out great. Bolted in with no problems. Thanks Laszlo! I bolted up the passenger side header with no issues and I finally got around to bolting up the dogbones to the frame as well. I also painted the engine block body color yesterday.

Not this week, but probably next week I'll get that gas tank modified and mounted in the frame and I'll start on fuel and brake lines.
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Registered Member

Didn't do a whole lot, but did finally finish bolting up the front sway bar. I used some prothane mounts/bushings as energy suspension didn't have a 26mm bushing, only 25 and 27mm for universal stuff. The endlinks are really close to the coilovers, so I might need to notch them.

I swapped the 4L80 cases I had as the one I put originally was in better shape of the 2.

With some luck, I might have the fuel tank mounted by next weekend

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by hurddawg View Post
    Thanks for the pics Laszlo! You certainly have a tight fit, mine looks absolutely spacious in comparison! I looked up the borgeson universals you recommended. My eyeballs about popped out at the price. I wanted to be sure before picking them up though, is the C4 rack 17mm DD? I'm assuming its metric, but a search really didnt seem to turn up much.

Being you and Rick have the flaming river columns, I think I might have to go that route too. I'm been torn with the 2 companies (Ididit and flaming river), The flaming river being stainless is a nice feature. I am going to try and see what I can do about getting the column in closer to the dash. I've seen some photos of it being done (maybe it was Wade's) and I'd like to attempt it too.

This weekend I did accomplish most of what I wanted to do and then some.
    I did get the passenger side suspension hooked up, along with the coilovers and it went without a hitch. I did get the rack in place as well and can see where Laszlo was talking about notching the engine mount, doesn't look too bad at all. The sway bar is just set in position, I didn't actually get to bolting it to the frame yet.

My Dad and I took apart the core 4L80 on Saturday and had the case and tailshaft housing cleaned/tanked today at the local Transmission shop. So I hope this memorial weekend I will get that bolted up to the foam block and the cross member. Slowly its starting to look like a car!

I had the valve covers in the earlier photos powder coated. I'm very happy with how they turned out.

billetspecialtiesvc.jpg
    The C4 rack is a 17mm DD. I used a straight 17mm DD to 3/4" round adapter on mine and then used 3/4" DD universals on the rest of the shafts to the column. Shouldn't be to hard to find a 17mm DD universal.
    Brian

Didn't notice your question about the C4 rack but Custer is right.....17mm DD. Borgeson makes a universal joint for that. I used a 3/4" splined shaft from there to the column but I think a 3/4" DD shaft may be a better choice since you don't have to get the length exact when you order it. That's what I used for the Hemi55. Summit Racing has everything you need for the steering shaft.

Also, the swaybar link should be close to the coilover, but it should clear. The universal bushings shell should be slotted so you can move it forward as far as possible. Worst case you can go to a custom link. I thought I might have to do that but ended up using the stock one.

20170320_071.JPG
    Last edited by chevynut; 06-04-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Thanks Custer and Laszlo for confirming the rack size. I didn't mention it, but soon after posting I found the info in the Borgeson Catalog, they have a list of racks in there that they talk about for reference. Low and behold the c4 rack is one of them. I was thinking to use 3/4" DD as it looked easier to fit, as like you said, its cut to fit. I have the borgeson joints and shaft in my wish list. I decided to wait on buying them until I get a bit closer to that stage of the build.

Laszlo, thanks for reminding me on the sway bar mount, they are slotted. I'll try adjusting them to a get a bit more clearance, but making new ones doesn't seem too difficult.

Looks like I have most of what i need to start tig welding this week. My friend recommended to buy a gas lens for my torch and I picked up some 1/16" ceriated tungsten as well. He'll do the fuel tank welding and get me started on my way to TIG welding on my own.

Laszlo, what bushings are in your sway bar?

Quote Originally Posted by hurddawg View Post
    Laszlo, what bushings are in your sway bar?
    The bottom bushings are stock C4. The stock upper C4 link bushings use a metal shell that you're supposed to keep and put the poly bushings inside of. I decided instead to make some custom poly bushings, sleeves, and stainless spacers. I hope the swaybar doesn't cut through the bushings.....I think that's what the shell is for.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

It looks great, hopefully it works out like you hope.

Registered Member

weldedtank.jpg

Last week I finally was able to link up with my buddy that TIG welds. He filled the tank up with Argon and went to town. As he did it he showed me some basics to get me started to welding. Otherwise not much progress otherwise. Hopefully I have a weekend here soon to work on it a bit, but might be a couple weeks until then. But I'm getting close to getting the tank mounted...just need to cut off the rear tabs on the tank and mount it up.

Engine and trans are close, just waiting on some parts for both, Had to get some pushrods as the ones on hand were a bit too long. Waiting on the dipstick for the trans so we can check the depth and put a dummy pan on so I can paint it.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast