Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan's 57 4 door Belair Hardtop Project

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Interesting...the Ricks tank I have looks like the one posted by hurddawg, with all mounting tabs on the sides. My frame is a Morrison unit. I had to cut some off the brackets Ricks supplied, but had enough room to mount the tank.

Registered Member

Member #:1800
    Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    So, you need brackets? I apologize for not following you. Don't buy brackets, I have a set somewhere I'll give you if that's what you need. Tabs? You mean the Stainless ones. I don't have them. What tank do you have? Is yours like the one depicted in my chassis or like the one in the link?
    Sorry, my description isn’t all that great, but I’ll get some photos of my actual tank and frame to explain

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Nick, the problem is that the 2-piece frames have a rounded corner and the rear SIDE brackets won't fit there at the location they put the rear tabs on the tank. I think the welded rear tabs on the tank interfere with the frame and IMO they should have put them further forward or on the rear of the tank as shown in the pic below. For the cost of the Rick's tank (~$1500) I think they should put the tabs wherever you want them. I would have put a piece of 1" bent stainless angle on the rear of the tank to slide it back closer to the crossmember.

I’m sure they would have moved the brackets if I had asked. I had them modify the fuel supply and return and they did it for no charge. I didn’t know / pay attention to the differences between the 2 frames to let them know. HoweverI would have thought/hoped they would have known/asked if that was the case (do you have a 1 piece frame). Any case, this is part of the hobby. I should have looked at it closer when I originally bought the tank 4-5 years ago.

Member #:1653
    I don't have any tabs but I do have the four frame brackets. If they would help you out, let me know.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    I don't have any tabs but I do have the four frame brackets. If they would help you out, let me know.
    Hey Nick, thanks for the offer, but I'll be okay without them

Although I'm a little disappointed that I never heard back from Ricks Tanks though. Anyway I think what Laszlo mentioned by welding some angle iron on the aft end of the tank, I can scoot the tank further back in the frame allowing for more room around the rear sway bar.

I took a few photos, but not able to upload at the moment....the add from computer bit from the website doesn't appear to be working.

I did get the trunnions in and I was able to fit the the upper and lower control arms. It is not shimmed properly yet but the upper control arm does contact the spring slightly. I'm thinking with some shims in there should fix the problem.
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by hurddawg View Post
    I did get the trunnions in and I was able to fit the the upper and lower control arms. It is not shimmed properly yet but the upper control arm does contact the spring slightly. I'm thinking with some shims in there should fix the problem.
    I believe you will need at least two 1/8" shims at the upper control arms to get close to the camber spec and that will help keep the upper a-arm off the spring. I ran into this issue with QA1 shocks with a 14" extended length. They won't work without the tall upper spring seat. Obviously the longer the shock the worse this is......but it only happens at full extension. If you move the top of the shock inboard, it interferes with the frame. I have plenty of clearance with my Aldan shocks with a bit shorter extended length.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Makes sense, the ridetechs I bought are 14.25 basically. I figured after shimming it would work out, as it is really only slightly touching. Thanks for confirming it!

Hopefully this weekend I get the other side bolted up too.
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Registered Member

Just a little bit at a time. Used a foam block to test fit for the headers. Will bolt up a empty trans case and tail housing once I get a trans apart. I found a burnt out core for $150. After some long thought and insistence from my Dad, decided to part with the TH400 I have and set up a 4L80E instead. With the 80, It leaves an upgrade path without having to change as much if I do decide changing motors after this initial build up (ie BBC) or going with a TCI 6x (which is big money). Which also bought up another subject was the rear end. With the TH400 or 4L80, the first gear is 2.48 which even with the performance D36 axle of 3.07, left 1st gear wimpy. So I'm planning on switching up the rear to 3.73 to help with that.

engine_mockup.jpg

Goals this week are to bolt up the passenger side suspension, R&P and front sway bar.
    Next week I hope to get the 4l80 case bolted to the foam block and bolted on to the trans crossmember.
    I am on a holding pattern on the gas tank, need to get some practice time welding before I tackle that one. I did order welding rod already and a piece of 304 angle for rear mounting tabs.

Probably be picking up a column here soon. Probably an Ididit, get it custom ordered to 35" and maybe have the cup cut down a touch.

How much do original P/S set ups go for? Mine is really dirty, but the generator was working along with the P/S pump. Treadlevac too, it was working great is there a market for these original parts?
    Last edited by hurddawg; 05-17-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Member #:115
    Those headers look like they'll work out great. What make and model are they?

On the steering column....I recommend that you NOT order it until you get the body on and mock up the steering with tubes and dowels to see where they intersect. I recommend a Borgeson u-joint at the bottom to the rack, and a Borgeson vibration damping u-joint at the top connecting to the column. Once you mock it all up you can decide the length of the column. I don't know how hard they are to shorten.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Reportedly Ididit columns are difficult to shorten, at least relative to Flaming River columns. Don't have details, and I don't know exactly why. Flaming River columns are relatively easy to shorten, I did mine. Column shift would complicate either one enough to definitely recommend not doing it yourself if you could avoid it.

Regardless of the above, the advice give is spot on. You need to have a plan before ordering it. But with R&P, choosing the headers is a huge factor too.

Registered Member

Thanks for the advice on the column guys, I'll hold off on buying one until I'm closer and can get the body on.

The headers are Dynatech MuscleMaxx headers for a 70-81 Camaro. I bought them a few years back at Speedway in the garage sale section as these are blemished on the bottom. Only unusual thing about them is that they have a proprietary 4 bolt flange on them, rather than the common 3 bolt.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast