Registered Member

Member #:1800

Ryan's 57 4 door Belair Hardtop Project

Hello All,

Here is my project...

Vehicle: 1957
    Trim: Belair
    Body: 4 door Hardtop
    Factory Installed Options: A/C, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Power Windows, Power Seat, EZ-Eye, Powerglide and Powerpak 283

I still have a Powerglide, and it is still in the car. I have the original in a bucket. I have suspicion that it was thrown in reverse while at speed. The Original motor is long gone replaced by a 1958 truck 283 with a 2bbl based on Suffix code (but has double humps installed). How do I figure it was a Powerpak car? Well the exhaust hanger is there for the dual exhaust and both the brake lines and fuel lines are routed outside the frame. I think it is a good possibility anyway. Not that I am going to keep it that way, just a cool fact for myself. A/C parts under the hood had been sold or just plain taken out years ago it seems. I still have the A/C control inside and the A/C idle cable, along with the vents. VintageAir here I come!

I originally intended on using my 210 as my project...I saved it from the wrecking yard. It's relatively rust free, fairly complete, but has had some radio "modifications" done in the dash, interior is well in poor shape and wiring was shot. Although I did do repairs to fix the wiring to an operational state.

The 4DHT on the other hand is a complete driver....just drove it last Sunday. The 283 purrs, runs on all cylinders, great sounding motor.....the powerglide on the other hand....sorry powerglide lovers....it is not my cup of tea. I just had the 58 valve covers powdercoated Chevy orange, the covers looked great, but made everything else well old....

Plans:

I didnt intend on doing an all out, frame off restore but upgrade things here and there as a driver. I planned on attending a Car show in August which is the NW Trifive club, but Chevynut convinced me otherwise....

In the current stage, I intend to get the frame modified, coated and reinstalled and get the vehicle back on the road. I hope to do this in a year or so. But that depends on my free time (I work 6 days a week).

Current modifications on the table.

- Classic Edge Design's C4 full conversion.
    - Brakes, in conjunction with C4 brake parts from CED
    - Steering
    - New Dual Exhaust
    - SBC 350 Engine from 69 Chevelle
    - TH400 Transmission
    - Swapping chrome bumpers with the 210 (The 210 has a "California" style bumper and its chrome is in better shape)

Its a pretty major step.

This is the first stage and its goal is to get frame & Body back together and on the road again as soon as I can. We'll see how I do...
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Registered Member

What I am working with

Day I bought the car.

Here's a video of it on Youtube. This is just before I parked it in the garage for teardown. Its my first youtube video, so sorry it isnt so great. The first part of the video was supposed to capture the exhaust note, but instead I just got gassed out. :P

http://youtu.be/6S5okye1x4c
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4 dr hardtop Bel Air Sierra Gold/Adobe Beige - Purchased July 5th, 2013
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan 210 Larkspur Blue/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased Aug 6th, 2012 (not running)
    - 1957 Chevrolet 4dr sedan Bel Air Canyon Coral/India Ivory Sedan - Purchased June 30th, 2013 (not running)
    - 2017 Chevrolet SS Sedan - LS3 - TR6060 - Nightfall Grey Metallic - Purchased April 2017

Registered Member

Start of teardown...

Day one, Sunday, 7/28/13. This is the day I decided to have Chevynut modify my frame. I wasted no time in getting started.

Only got a couple hours in. Only broken two bolts so far. Although not obvious, part of the radiator support is undone. I was trying to remove the Passenger side fender, but stopped since I did not have the proper bits to remove the headlight cups (clutch head type). Tried to use a common screwdriver, but only managed one to break loose. The hood is a lot heavier than I was thinking! Managed by myself though.

Day two, Monday 7/29/13. I removed the front light bar & grille and the radiator support is close to coming loose. I need to remove the radiator.
    I forgot to bring home some bits for the clutch head screws. Which reminds me right now....

Member #:115
    Wow Ryan, that's a nice-looking 57. We'll make it a nice-driving 57!!

I'm looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks to pick up your frame. You mentioned you lived in Auburn...do you know Hotroddder (Dick)? I am going to try to stop by and see him while I'm in your area. Maybe we could all get together and have a beer.

I will do everything I can to help you get the car back on the road with the new frame. It's a major step, but one that other customers were glad they did!!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Ryan, did you know you can take off the whole front clip in one unit? That's the way they put them on at the factory. You don't have to disassemble the clip to take it off.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    good looking 57 to start with, have fun with it.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:530
    Thats a great looking 4 door no-post to start from. With a C4 frame swap, you'll find this project to be a bit more work than you might have thought, but well
    Worth it in the end as far as handling improvements.

Im in the middle of one of Laszlo's frame builds on my Nomad and struggling with the long build time its taking due to lifes inevitable time committments.

My advice to you is not to be discouraged when you get this all torn apart and then hit a snag or delay that leaves the car torn apart in your garage for periods of time. Keep the attitude that "I got to finish this thing by..." And give yourself a date to have it done by. Life has a way of getting in the way of our projects sometimes, but keep the faith.

That will be one great driving 4 door when its finished.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Tuesday, July 30th

Managed to pull the fender. I could not do a whole lot last night since I worked late, but was determined to get that fender off.
    Once I figured out I needed to unbolt the "outside air" duct from inside the cab, out she came! Also I found the headlight cups do not need to be removed. FYI so anyone doing this....do not have your wheels turned like I have in the photo....it makes it doubly hard to remove the fender smoothly. at least, if you remove the inner fender at the same time.

I think I have it down as far how to remove the fender, so the driver side one should go easier. I should have a naked motor sitting there tonight with some luck!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Wow Ryan, that's a nice-looking 57. We'll make it a nice-driving 57!!

I'm looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks to pick up your frame. You mentioned you lived in Auburn...do you know Hotroddder (Dick)? I am going to try to stop by and see him while I'm in your area. Maybe we could all get together and have a beer.

I will do everything I can to help you get the car back on the road with the new frame. It's a major step, but one that other customers were glad they did!!
    Yes I do live in Auburn, but I don't know Hotroddder though. If it works out, I wouldnt mind having a beer with y'all, I'm one of the young ones among the trifivers (31yrs). The car has me beat in age by a couple decades lol. Anyway Look forward to get this frame revitalized with your help! Appreciate your support...!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast