Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Oil & Gas Collection. Yes it's become an addiction!

Registered Member

Member #:133

My Oil & Gas Collection. Yes it's become an addiction!

Sid sent me a message a few months ago saying he added a Petroliana section so I figured I'd log in today and see how that's going? OK...so it needs a little help (lol). Myself, I didn't start collecting until the early part of 2012, but I do have many friends that have been collecting for decades. I used to go over and see there collections every now and then, and while I liked the pumps and stuff it never really hit me until I finished my 55 and thought that I should add a pump or two within my own shop. Well, let me say it's become an addiction of sorts as I've flipped in and out of a few brands before focusing in on a couple of particular brands sought out across Canada. I've probably grown a collection of rare cans, signs and pumps faster than most people who get into this hobby, but I'm lucky to have some friends with major collections who throw a few bones my way as I chase down the rare stuff. Here's a few shots of my garage that I thought I'd share.

(Red Indian cans which are one of the most sought after brands in Canada. The parent company McColl Frontenac was bought out by Texaco in 1947)

(More cans and some rare ephemera from Red Indian Oil. Many of these cans have now found their way into proper racks that I have found in the past year)

(Red Indian racks with some cherry cans and a mint DSP Porcelain signs dating back to the 30's. This brand happens to be one of the most sought after up here)

Another brand I collect is Red Head from Western Canada. Prominent from the 20's through the 50's before being bought up by B/A or British American)

(Oil & Gas in any brand always makes a great backdrop for a classic hot rod. I can sit out here and tinker for hours on end and it never gets boring)

Here's a recent shot showing a couple rare Red Indian signs that I picked up in recent weeks. The Motor Oil sign is a difficult and expensive sign to find)

(Here's a little Gilbarco 906 that I did to match the car with custom lenses I had made. It's a 55 dated pump with Double Nickel globes dated to 1955 as well)

I've got pumps, signs and globes all over the place right now, and another 5 pumps that are in the midst of being restored. I buy them raw and have traveled all over the Pacific Northwest to find the right cores. Once I find a few that are rust and damage free, I pick them up, tear them down and start by sand blasting the frames while chemically stripping the skins. From there the frames are powder coated, and once they start going back together I send the skins to a friend of mine for a squirt in base clear. I then order any new parts I need for them and start reassembling everything in the colors & brands of the companies I collect. I try and use as much of the original stuff as possible and like using the original porcelain face plates, globes and porcelain signs whenever I can. Enjoy!

Registered Member

Here's a few more pictures of the yellow pump that I actually just finished this weekend. It's a G&B 96 that was restored back to it's original brand of Red Head. Found it locally in March of this year and just got the skins back from paint this past Friday. I'll also include a couple links below that shows some of the pumps being torn down and restored. pretty simple job to restore one of these once you get them figured out, and their a lot of fun to collect and share with other like minded collectors.

http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/DBL_NKL/story/14229 G&B 96 Restoration

http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/DBL_NKL/story/2611 Gilbarco 906 Restoration

http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/DBL_NKL/story/15257 Bennett Restorations with 3 on the go right now

(The G&B pump as found in March of this year)

(The skins after being torn down and chemically stripped to bare metal)

(The frame being reassembled after each piece is powder coated, and the VR (calculator assembly) after being cleaned up and re-installed)

(Side panels back from paint this past Friday)

(Installing new glass into the frames and getting ready to fasten the stainless trim back onto the door skins)

(Dry fitting the doors before adding new seals and adjusting the door clips for a proper fit)

The finished pump after I rewired it and lit it up tonight. Now to get all of the others finished up)
    Last edited by Double Nickel; 08-05-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    wow!!!!!!!!! just beautiful, thanks for sharing.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:226
    Those are great guys!!! Think I see some family members there........

Member #:1653
    That's some really great stuff there!

Member #:115
    Graeme, it looks like you're getting a little carried away. LOL! It was nice to finally get to meet you at GG Colorado. How's the car doing?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3
    All I can say , Is VERY NICE stuff you better slow down or your going to need to send some of that stuff my wayHow is the car coming along ?

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

I was glad to have finally met you at Good-guys and put a face to the name Laszlo. I was hoping to have seen you again when I got back but we never managed to hook up again that Saturday. Car is running well and I was thinking of blasting down to hot August nights today but can't find a co-pilot as all my buddies are in Sturgis this week. Bummer as I wanted to drive it down to Reno.

Member #:230
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Nickel View Post
    I was glad to have finally met you at Good-guys and put a face to the name Laszlo. I was hoping to have seen you again when I got back but we never managed to hook up again that Saturday. Car is running well and I was thinking of blasting down to hot August nights today but can't find a co-pilot as all my buddies are in Sturgis this week. Bummer as I wanted to drive it down to Reno.
    you could come to to the Spokane Good Guys
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Registered Member

Don't think that's going to happen. But you can always come up to Super Chevy in 3 weeks.
    Last edited by Double Nickel; 08-05-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast