Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Archery elk season starting this Saturday in CO

Member #:1653
    RESULTS?

Member #:115
    Well it was a fun weekend, but came home empty. We went to an area that I had scouted a few weeks ago but hadn't hunted in almost 10 years. We took ATVs in 7 miles and set up camp. Didn't see another hunter all the way in. After setting up camp we took a walk, and found another camp 1/4 mile from us.

On opening morning we got into elk below camp and one "barked" at us from downwind. We never saw them but there was a bull bugling in the herd. That night we saw nothing. The next morning we walked back on the trail another mile and dropped into the timber. I found a place that I thought looked "elky" so we sat down and started calling. About 5 minutes later I heard a crash to my left, downwind of me. An elk had sneaked in downwind and got my scent. A few minutes later it walked back the other way at about 30 yards, but I only saw its rump. We continued to call and I saw an elk coming from my left, probably the same one. It was a 4x4 bull, and walked 40-45 yards in front of me left to right. I had no shot due to all the trees and he kept walking, but he walked to where my hunting partner was sitting to my right about 50 yards away. He walked over and stopped, then went crashing away, along with at least one other elk below him that I didn't see. After a little more calling the bull came back and snuck in behind us, and took off again. When my partner came over I asked what happened, and why he didn't shoot. He said he only had a COW LICENSE! The bull was broadside to him at 15 yards!

That evening produced nothing. I went out one last time on Monday morning and took my bow for a walk above camp. I went almost to timberline and saw a little old sign, but no elk. When I got back we packed up camp and rode out.

Not sure what I'm going to do next week. I need a "plan B" in case this place doesn't work out.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    At least it was "fun".

Member #:1608
    Buddy just got back from Colorado. No luck either. Hey I just picked up my home grown beef from the market. Processing was .40/lb. Cheaper than processing deer? Maybe due to the size difference?

JT56, you mean your buddy only spent 3 days bowhunting elk? Wow, not many bowhunters get one in a week or more of hunting...only 11-12% success rate. You need a lot of time with archery gear, and a lot of "opportunities". A lot of things can go wrong, even when they're right in front of you. Our elk licenses are around $550 so I am surprised anyone would come here for only 3 days.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

He left Texas Wednesday and is on his way back today. He goes to Alaska a couple times a year too. I like the caribou meat!

Member #:1709
    I never hesitate to go back to a proven place the next day. I've seen it too many times where another hunter leaves out and a couple of hours later, we see game that they never knew were there. The place that the boys have, backs up to National Forest so we pretty much have two big canyons bout 3 1/2 miles long to work out.
    I've really been wanting to go up to listen to the Bulls screaming, but my wife had a stroke a month ago and is having some issues bout us getting too far from civilization. She has put up with all my recklessness for all these years, so I owe her some comfort, she tells me she will be OK for my Cow hunt in Dec. tho
    Where did you bag that huge hog?

ilike55s, I shot the hog in OK. It's not quite as big as it looks, it's a 200 pound boar. It must be the camera angle. I shot a couple of 80-pounders in TX last year and they were good eating.

I've been to Alaska 6 times, and I've bowhunted in CO, NM, MT, OK, TX, ID, WY, KS, NE, and even in NY once for turkeys on a business trip .

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:1709
    Sounds like your hunting budget is way bigger than most car budgets,,,I don't have to shell out near as much now as the 5 boys all have good jobs and spend their own money on hunting,,,,,

I had my first taste of Grizzly Bear this year! Doug grilled it and it was really good. My favorite is caribou and elk. I have heard those hogs dont taste good once they get big?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast