Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Archery elk season starting this Saturday in CO

Member #:115
    I shot a nice caribou in Alaska and it was REALLY good meat. 100 pounds of it only cost me about $2500...LOL! I also shot a bighorn sheep in Colorado that was excellent eating. The mountain goat wasn't so great, and the big hog wasn't near as tasty as the little ones I got last year. I once shot about a 45-pounder with my bow and we grilled the whole thing. That was excellent!

I have people (including my GF) that say they don't like antelope meat. I've shot several and served them to my friends, and they love it. My GF doesn't understand why mine taste so good. She's from WY and has eaten many antelope in the past and didn't really like them until she tasted mine. Maybe it's because I don't shoot them running. I also love whitetail deer and elk. Good stuff.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:516
    I was raised on Mule and White Tail, Elk, and Antelope Loved them all. Had Mt Goat, Sheep, Black Bear, a few times. Liked the Goat and Sheep but the bear was too grissley and chewy. My step father had a ranch in N.E. Montana and he raised Elk for sale at restaurants. I miss the meat but haven't hunted for 30 years.

Member #:1709
    Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, you talking bout bear reminds me of a time years ago, my Uncle Jessie had shot a black bear and he brought it over and gave to my Dad. Huh,,?? What is this,,,? We cut it up and I remember the meat was really dark, but heck, that was the first meat we had seen in a couple-a. My Mother cooked some that night and we all piled into the big plate of bear meat like there was no tomorrow. I remember like it was yesterday,,,I chewed,,,and chewed, and chewed some more and the longer I chewed on the piece of meat,,,the bigger that SOB got where I could hardly close my mouth!!!!! Finally spit it out and noticed all the rest of family doin the same thing. We improvised by cutting really small pieces, and just do a quick chew and swallow for that chunk got any bigger,,,! Never had a hankerin to hunt bear after that. Cause like I said, I'm a meat hunter and I plan to eat everything I shoot.
    My 2nd oldest Son that lives in Florida, hunts the hogs there and says they are good eating but they are only bout 40-60 lbs. He has a friend that has a big ranch in southern Georgia and goes up there a lot also.

A friend of mine and I went to Idaho and shot a couple of bears....mine is in the pic above. We had sausage made out of both of them, and everyone I gave some to loved it. I had some deer sausage too, and I took both to work...people liked the bear sausage better than the deer sausage. I don't know if I would want to eat a bear steak, but I've never tried it.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:1608
    I guess its what the bear has been eating to how it taste.

True JT. In Alaska, you are required to recover the hide and meat of a bear you kill in the spring, but not the fall. In the fall, you have to only recover the hide. Spring bears eat berries, grass, and stuff like that. In the fall they eat salmon, sometimes rotten. Apparently they taste like crap in the fall.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:1608
    I would say the grizzly bear meat I had a sweet flavor. Kinda hard to explain, but was good. Yeah I bet the dead salmon would make it taste like crap! I am looking forward to some steaks this weekend from the steers I just processed!

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by JT56 View Post
    I would say the grizzly bear meat I had a sweet flavor. Kinda hard to explain, but was good. Yeah I bet the dead salmon would make it taste like crap! I am looking forward to some steaks this weekend from the steers I just processed!
    Steak, did someone say steak? What time do I need to be there?

Member #:1709
    Hey Chevynut, did you go back out this past weekend? Lookin for a good story.

We've been getting soaked this week. I've never seen it rain so much up here, and it's expected to continue through the weekend.

The first evening I had a bear at 100 yards that was moving towards me. Unfortunately I don't have a bear license. The bear took off when 3 elk came to my cow calling. There was a cow and a calf and a 5x5 bull. I had the cow at around 40 yards and the bull at about that range but it got dark before they got in position for a shot. Right at dark another 5 elk including another bull came down but we had to get back to camp.

We backpacked in so we only had small tents and backpacking gear.

We have been into elk every time out. Sunday evening we jumped a bull out of his bed only 15 yards in front of us. That night we checked into a motel to try to dry out.

Yesterday we found a new camp site and we went out to hunt after setting up camp. We set up to call and 5 minutes later a bull came in. He was 20 yards from my son, broadside, presenting a perfect archery shot. Then he walked over to me and stood at 13 yards for a while before walking back up the mountain. He was a spike and we can't shoot spikes here. How frustrating.

We hiked back to camp in the dark with it raining. It rained most of the night and was still raining this morning,so we decided not to go out. All of our stuff was still wet. We're trying to dry things now but it keeps raining on and off and it's overcast.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123