Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Archery elk season starting this Saturday in CO

Member #:115

Archery elk season starting this Saturday in CO

Our archery deer/elk season always starts on the last Saturday in August and goes for 30 days. Some years it's way too early, and I wish they'd change it to start September 1, regardless of what day of the week it is. I don't know why they need to accommodate everyone out there at once, but that's what they do.

I'm going up for the weekend and plan to hunt some lower (~8500 foot) areas where I think elk may be. I was there in July and went scouting a couple of weeks ago and saw a lot of elk sign down low. We hiked 8 miles that day and got just below timberline. It was rough, but the elk are there. In a week I'm going back with my son and his friend, and we're planning to hunt 9 days. We plan to pack in a little over 2 miles up to about 10000 feet if we have to go that high to reach them.

I've decided not to go to Kansas this year for whitetails, since the landowner whose place we hunt on opened it up for "walk-in hunting" a few years ago. I don't need to travel 7 hours and pay $500 to hunt what is now essentially "public" hunting. Last year some asshole stole a pull-up rope out of my stand between my morning and evening hunts. We've been going there for 10-12 years now, but I may just go to Nebraska instead. I didn't draw anything in any other state I applied in.

Anyone else have hunting plans this fall? It's coming FAST!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:436
    Good luck chevy hope you shoot a good one. Our season start's sep 28 for bow till nov. 8. Don't have any out of state hunt's planed But have been seeing some nice buck's in middle TN where our other farm is.Going this weekend to get our winter food plot's started.Really looking forward to getting in the wood's this year.

Member #:1653
    No cap poppin or bow strings for me this year. I haven't scored anything in so long I don't know if I recall where the trigger is. I put 50 rounds through my concealed carry pistol on requalification last month but that's it.

Member #:1709
    Good luck to you on your Elk hunt, Chevynut!! Actually that is about right as far as the rut goes, isn't it? What I've read is the rut is triggered by the change from the longest day to the shorter days, and not by the temperature change as a lot of people think. I cannot remember what they call that "change" tho
    I drew a permit for a cow hunt for first week in December. I had applied for a muzzle loader Bull on 2nd week in September but did not draw and got put in 2nd choice drawings for one of the cow hunts. I'm a dang meat hunter anyway, so that will work out for me. MMmmmmm love that Elk jerky,,,!!!!!
    Man,,,I just love those big old bulls arguing all night long around our place up in the hills.

Member #:1608
    Nick did you see that after Sept 1, 2013. You don't have to take a re-fresher course or re-qualify for your CHL? Everything online. I dont mind the re-qualify...really think that should be apart, but oh well.

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by JT56 View Post
    Nick did you see that after Sept 1, 2013. You don't have to take a re-fresher course or re-qualify for your CHL? Everything online. I dont mind the re-qualify...really think that should be apart, but oh well.
    Hadn't seen that

Quote Originally Posted by ilike55s View Post
    I drew a permit for a cow hunt for first week in December. I had applied for a muzzle loader Bull on 2nd week in September but did not draw and got put in 2nd choice drawings for one of the cow hunts. I'm a dang meat hunter anyway, so that will work out for me. MMmmmmm love that Elk jerky,,,!!!!!
    Man,,,I just love those big old bulls arguing all night long around our place up in the hills.
    ilike55s, where are you hunting? Do you live in Colorado?

I think they should take the muzzleloader hunt completely OUT of September. In the first place, it's too damned easy to shoot a bull in rut with a rifle...and a muzzleloader isn't that much of a handicap compared to a bow. Secondly, having bowhunters in camo in the field at the same time with muzzleloader hunters with blaze orange is just fricking dumbass stupid. The CDOW must have their collective heads up their asses to structure the seasons that way.

A few years ago a muzzleloader shot a bowhunter and killed him....they were hunting partners. You'd think that would have woke up the dipshits in the CDOW to change things. The interesting thing is they always report hunting accidents, but didn't say a word about this one. It happened near Steamboat Springs. If I was a family member of the dead bowhunter I'd be suing the shit out of the CDOW for setting this tragedy up with their asinine policies.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Chevynut, I live in Redondo Beach Ca. but hunt in the SW section of Colorado or in northern NM if we draw. Kali-fornia sucks as far as having the numbers of big game and with all the fires, who knows???
    We have 5 boys and they all love to hunt and have been hunting since they were old enough to carry their own firearm.. My oldest boy is the only one that likes to bowhunt for Deer and while he has never bagged one,,,he has videoed some monsters! We never can seem to find these wall hangers during the rifle hunts but they come out of their hiding places for the rut in January. I myself use a BAR in 7Mm magnum for the rifle hunts and a CVA smoke pole in 50 cal if I draw there.
    You are exactly right about the muzzle loaders of now-a-days. My third oldest Son has a Knight 50 and uses some "special" spire point bullets with some "very special" powder ,,,,and we sight his gun in at,,,,,,,,,,,250 yards! Un-freaking believeable,!!!! but it do have a noticeable kick.
    To tell you the truth, I do not really like any of the hunts scheduled to coincide with the rutting periods as too many of the trophy animals are harvested during their most important reproduction times. I would rather have the hunts start after the ruts, but I know the majority of hunters would never agree with that.
    GOOD LUCK with your bow hunt. What part of Colorado do you hunt? My wife's B-I-L lives in Aurora and will be hunting somewhere "west " of Denver he said,,?? Shit-ass would not tell me exactly where!

I have hunted all over Colorado, and hunt elk in NM, MT when I draw. I apply for about 30 licenses in 7 states every year, mostly Sheep, goat, and moose. I have been applying for moose in CO for about 17 years now and have never drawn, so I started applying in MT and UT several years ago too. I have hunted the Missouri River Breaks in MT for elk and have seen lots of sheep there. They have some of the biggest rams in the lower 48 there. I have been hunting whitetail deer in KS for the past 10-15 years, but didn't apply this year due to losing several private places we've been hunting. Damned leasing is taking over everywhere.

I pretty much quit rifle hunting in '91 when I started bowhunting..it's a lot more fun, and I see a lot more animals. It's nice not having to compete with 150,000 other hunters in the field. But it's a lot harder to fill a tag too. Here's some of my best bowhunting success pics.

20060920_0249.jpggoat1.jpg09080026_red.jpg09010002_cropped.jpgELK4.JPG01290005.jpg20111112_0015.jpg

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

WOW,,,you been a lucky dude, Dude. I have drawn 3 bull muzzle loader permits in New Mexico but never bagged a Bull. I have drawn a cow Elk permit 3 times and bagged two, but as I said, I 'm a meat hunter.
    That is one giant hog,,,,where did you get that huge SOB? what 'd it weigh,,,450 or so,,? I went on a White tail hunt down around Victoria, Texas and we saw lots of hogs but NOTHING near that big. All them folks down there tell me they are dang good eating,,,??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast