Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trim parts quality?

Member #:873

Trim parts quality?

Just wondering if anyone had good results with trim parts reproductions?
    I was told by them they stick directly to the GM original, won't know till tue when I get my parts in.

Kevin

Member #:1608
    Quote Originally Posted by Kswartz View Post
    Just wondering if anyone had good results with trim parts reproductions?
    I was told by them they stick directly to the GM original, won't know till tue when I get my parts in.

Kevin
    Kevin I was told the Gene Smith repro's were the best...While the finish is great, I still had to use a reamer to get the holes to line up perfectly on my front end chrome.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    It's a mixed bag. Some of Trim Parts stuff is the best stuff, on others it's Gene Smith or Danchuk. Probably the best way is to ask here. And to post here if you like or dislike something from any of the suppliers.

Don't let their GM logo stuff sway you. They don't use original tooling. And you wouldn't be happy if they did.

Member #:39
    I have a 57 2 dr HT. I've used all 3. Danchuk is the worst. My grill bar from them is very wavy. I got my hood bar and fender extensions from Trim parts. The R. side and Hood bar was perfect. The L. side was scuffed. My tali lights were from Gene Smith. They have begun to freckle or blister. They are pot metal. Like Rick L said It's a shot in the dark. ( http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthr...dometer-decals )

Member #:115
    I've had to send stuff back to Danchuk due to poor quality, but at least at the time they replaced it for me. Their hood bar and extension kit fit my Nomad very well, even better than the stock original parts I had (2-3 sets of them). I don't know if I've ever used Trim Parts, but I have used Gene Smith parts. Their chrome lower grille bar won't fit over their stainless grille because the vertical bars are too wide on the grille. I talked to Fred at Gene Smith and as usual I'm the only one who's ever had the problem. He said to push it on and it will be fine. The problem is I need to disassemble the car, and if I push it on it's not coming off easily. So I'm going to wait til I do final assembly and deal with it then. Fred said he will stand behind the parts if something bad happens.

The Gene Smith 56 tailights I have don't fit nearly as well as the Danchuk ones I got. They were close to 1/4" too short vertically. The Danchuk ones fit well, but I still had to get them to replace one bezel that had a dip in it.

I have one 56 V8 hood emblem bezel that isn't even close to the same angle as the hood. Not sure which manufacturer it came from.
    Last edited by chevynut; 10-18-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I think the bottom line is that even the original parts didn't fit very well in a lot of cases.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Just what all does Trim Parts make? The only part I know of for sure is door handles, and I've heard mixed reviews on them. There must be more.

Lots of them.....

ABOUT TRIMPARTS TrimParts, Inc. manufactures GM licensed restoration parts for Chevrolet and other GM cars and trucks. We are dedicated to manufacturing the highest quality products offered in the restoration industry by using the original GM tooling under licensing from GM when tooling is available. Otherwise, TrimParts engineers and builds in-house tooling to meet the original GM Specifications and TrimParts Quality.

http://www.trimparts.com/parts/index/

http://www.trimparts.com/static/trimparts_difference/

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:873
    Cool, ok sounds like a mixed bag of see what I get, yikes... I just specked Danchuks front bezel for the 55 emblem, and it's way out from GM. Just got Danchuks machine shop specks for the part, and well..... Let's see where trim parts stacks up. Little gd&t
    You guys are great, good feedback.
    If your going to make it, do it right!

Thanks
    kevin
    my first off parts are in my photo section.

Registered Member

Chevynut, I just looked at the link you provided and the only pot metal parts for 55-57s were door handles and the center bar for a Nomad tailgate. Everything else was plastic or rubber.

I do know they make metal trim parts for 60s Chevys, but that's another subject.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast