Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Sig Mosquito or Ruger SR22

Registered Member Busted Knuckles's Avatar

Member #:1491

Sig Mosquito or Ruger SR22

Wife is a new shooter and I am looking to purchase a 22 as her first handgun. I had briefly thought about a friends advice about getting her a 9mm and starting out with low velocity loads but I know my wife so were gonna go with a 22LR. Well the other night in the sportsmen center while my back was turned while holding a nice used .300 Nitro Express the guy behind the counter pulls from under the counter a Sig Mosquito which i have nothing against Sig's fine weapons but he had to show her one of those one's with the purple frame. Oh I want this one, I hear this one. Not sure if it was because it fit her hand nicely or because it was purple. Needless to say I shot the guy a look like Seriously Purple? So she goes online later on that night and checks out a RugerSR22 also in purple that a friend recommended, as he bought his wife one for her birthday.

So not really a hunting related question but do any of you have any preference Sig vs Ruger?

Member #:1653
    I have multiple brands and have no qualms with either - color is of little consequence or concern - what is of concern is the purpose of the weapon. My wife of 37 years has shot pretty much every pistol or rifle I have or have had. She is a small frame gal but with proper instruction has learned to shoot the eyes out of a fly at 100 yards (another story for later). If the intent is to get her used to shooting for fun, then a 22 LR is a fine piece regardless of the two brand choices - but as far as a defense weapon I would humbly submit to revert back to your initial thought od a 9MM. If you want to shoot 22 LR, purchase a Colt Commander or a clone in nine MM and purchase a 22 LR upper for it - that way, when she graduates to a 9MM the trigger and pistol weight are the same. Ruger makes a fine 1911 clone - if ya want purple, there are multiple gunsmiths that can refinish it in about any color to include pink - I prefer red, white and blue but each to his/her own. JMHO

Thanks for the input, yes we do have four defense weapons in our home. My four German Shepard's the littlest of whom is Abby a year and a half female @ 120lbs. If the poor SOB is still alive there is a 2" 357 S&W with a Magnaported barrel in the quick access safe under the bed.
    I just know my wife and eventually she will work up to the larger caliber weapons but as an entry level piece I think the 22LR has a lot of positives in its favor one of which is its still relatively cheap to shoot, and its not as "offensive" if you will as a weapon with a loud report. I myself am in search of lower priced 45ACP just because I don't want to cut too deep into the Nomad budget.

Member #:1653
    It's a shame you don't live here, I see the better part of a dozen a day for sale (clone 1911) from Ruger, M&P, true Colts and Rock Armory - do you face book? If so, for giggles & grins, check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheMansCave/ It might make you sad though. I have done well there so far and they are all un-registered. I purchased one black scary rifle (small caliber) a week back that had 500 rounds of ammo along with six 30 round magazines and a case for a song.

I don't have a problem with buying something unregistered actually long arms in NJ don't require registration only new handguns. If your dumb enough to volunteer to register your long arm then they will let you but its a joke. I wonder how I owuld register my M2? Its time to get out of this communist state but as much as I love Texas the people the BBQ and the pro-gun laws. I have my sights set on Wyoming the least populated sate in the union and where the Elk outnumber the people by about 6 to 1. My biggest concern would be ah well nothing......

Member #:115
    Busted, there are more elk in Colorado than several other western states combined...far more than in Wyoming. And there are not 6 times as many elk as people....closer to the opposite ratio. Wyoming has about 500,000 residents, and probably only about 100,000 elk. Colorado has about 275,000 elk post hunt. The problem with Colorado is the Kalifornians far outnumber the elk....and probably Colorado natives.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Busted, there are more elk in Colorado than several other western states combined...far more than in Wyoming. And there are not 6 times as many elk as people....closer to the opposite ratio. Wyoming has about 500,000 residents, and probably only about 100,000 elk. Colorado has about 275,000 elk post hunt. The problem with Colorado is the Kalifornians far outnumber the elk....and probably Colorado natives.
    Yeah your probably right Laz, but one this is for sure there are 100,000 more Elk in Wyoming then in New Jersey, with the exception of a few that reside on the walls of a few sportsmen. I do like the ratio of people /square miles. Fever people has a direct effect on the A-hole factor. Where as in NJ our A-hole actor is more then enough to populate a third world country which btw we are rapidly becoming. I live in very close proximity to NAS Lakehurst where a Marine fast attack force calls home and the C-17's from McGuire AFB practice touch n goes all hours of the day and night. After a month you don't even hear them anymore unless the wheels scrap the roof of your house. (not much of a stretch) Well a new neighbor moved in and bitched and complained about the noise and this and that. I said the only time you have to worry about one of those planes passing overhead is when you look up and you don't see the letters USAF on them. She looked at me and said huh? yeah no lie.....

Member #:755
    Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Thanks for the input, yes we do have four defense weapons in our home. My four German Shepard's the littlest of whom is Abby a year and a half female @ 120lbs. If the poor SOB is still alive there is a 2" 357 S&W with a Magnaported barrel in the quick access safe under the bed.
    I just know my wife and eventually she will work up to the larger caliber weapons but as an entry level piece I think the 22LR has a lot of positives in its favor one of which is its still relatively cheap to shoot, and its not as "offensive" if you will as a weapon with a loud report. I myself am in search of lower priced 45ACP just because I don't want to cut too deep into the Nomad budget.
    I bought a Hi Point 45 acp. You can them around $250-300 new, $150-200 used. Made in Ohio, USA. Lifetime guarantee to current owner regardless of being resold... Mine shoots great, no issues. A little big and heavy, but overall reliable and inexpensive.

warren57 thats exactly the piece i was interested in. I've read nothing but positive reviews about it and like you said its big heavy and works just like me. Forgot to throw in ugly too.