Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Working on A-Pillars and cowl

Registered Member

Member #:229

Working on A-Pillars and cowl

Haven't been on the site in a while - I was blocked off-and-on til the server move. I generally "surf" on my tablet, and I hate posting from it.

Also, been out of town with work, etc, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the 57. However, I am working on the A-pillar's now. I keep finding more and more rust. Decided to buy new cowl panels (has the hinge mounts) as mine were swiss cheese once I stripped them - they both also had a "square" cut out of each one and welded back - no clue what that was for. I have the driver's side mocked up with sheetmetal screws.

Does anyone have good measurements of the door opening on a 57 hardtop? My rockers and floor were so far gone... I hung a door on the passenger side and it's "close" but I just want to double check.
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Member #:115
    Brian, be sure to do a lot of measuring in the door/cowl area. It's really easy to get it wrong, especially with the extensive work you're doing on the a-pillar. Hanging the door is definitely the right approach too.

Glad to see you posting again.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2016
    I'll most likely need to replace the A-pillar on the driver side of my ride too. The corner below the windshield is rusted out pretty bad so by all means please post pics

Registered Member

Does every one have issues with replacement metal not fitting worth a crap? The first driver's toe board didn't have the correct curve on it, the second one I tried fit fine. Now, the driver's A-Pillar/door jamb has the wrong shape at the bottom - http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000080i - The passenger side one looks somewhat better. And of course, I did all my test fitting without the rocker in place - I guess I learned a lesson the hard way.
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Registered Member

I'm kinda stuck now as I don't want to start on the passenger side as I was using it as my "guide." I braced it up and hung a door on it to make sure it was okay for measurements sake. So I don't want to cut on it until I get the drivers side done. I got in a bit of a hurry - I try to make the most of each day as I only get maybe one day a week on it. Also, the drivers side rocker had been cut (or rusted completely in two) and rewelded and I knew it was not the correct length - was ~ 1/4" too short, so I didn't want to use it as a reference.

Either way, I order a new piece - another $100 - grrr... That'll teach me I guess.
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Member #:1653
    I have a box stock 57 2DHT in the shop. I'll shoot a pic for you and you can point out what you need measured if that helps.

Member #:436
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakins View Post
    Does every one have issues with replacement metal not fitting worth a crap? The first driver's toe board didn't have the correct curve on it, the second one I tried fit fine. Now, the driver's A-Pillar/door jamb has the wrong shape at the bottom - http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000080i - The passenger side one looks somewhat better. And of course, I did all my test fitting without the rocker in place - I guess I learned a lesson the hard way.
    Yep I have had some of the same problem's. The gmc that I am working on just about all the replacement panel's didn't wont to fit the way I thought they would and the 55 hard top is the same way.Guess when they reproduce they just get them close and that's good enough.

Registered Member

Measurements/pics would be most appreciated. Unfortunately, both sides were pretty rotten in the bottom corner near the hinge. Previous owner had done some
    "repairs" with some 1/8" steel plate - not kidding...
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Registered Member

Had the day off (we have to use all our days by end of year), so I was tinkering in garage. Drivers side door opening is too narrow. How'd that happen? Everything's held together with sheet metal screws, so I can adjust. It's same thing at top and bottom and middle of door. FWIW, I never could get the door lined up before I ever started...

Edit: I tested the fit with the actual door above and it didn't fit. I just did a bunch of measurements on both sides and they match (well, within an 1/8" at most). Passenger door fit perfect, drivers not so much..
    Last edited by Bakins; 12-16-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension