Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cowl and Hinge Pocket rust repair

Member #:1608
    Quote Originally Posted by BAM55 View Post
    Now that is the truth, plus he seems to be a very cool person. No arrogance, just loves to share his knowledge. The goes a long way in my book. He is a amazing craftsman.
    Yes I would say Craftsman!

Registered Member

Member #:3973

MP & C

I'd like to discuss the information pertaining to the cowl and hinge pocket repair for a 1956 Chevrolet Belair Hardtop. Member # 2017 had some nice pictures and info, and I'd like to discuss this with him. Thanks, Impalajohn

Member #:2017
    John, what would you like to discuss?

Registered Member

I would like to know if you happen to know where I could buy the lower hinge pocket pieces, or if you would be interested in building me a pair, and if so, what would the cost be? I live in Oklahoma, and am not good with metal working. Thanks, John

The entire cowl side to include the pieces you need are available new. I am not recommending one vendor over another, but check around to see who has better pricing. I have too long a wait list at this time to take on any more. Thanks, Robert

http://realdealsteel.com/i-20901117-...-assembly.html
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, however, I have spent over 6 hours on the computer trying to find a supplier and have not been successful, and real deal steel was one of my choices. Is there a particular key word or phrase that I am missing? I appreciate your sending me the link to real deal steel, however, through my search I have not find them having the parts I need. I am needing the piece that goes on the front side of the hinge that holds the plates for the adjustment bolts and not the Phillips larger bolts on the back side. I'm not sure I'm describing them correctly, but you have to remove the cowl piece to get to the front side of the hinge where it has the plate that two bolts screw into. I can't find anyone who has that except for the pictures you showed of manufacturing them. I apologize for not knowing the correct nomenclature for the description, as I am a 30+ year traveling salesman with an industrial paint background, and just wanting to restore a car similar to my first one, a 1956 Aqua and white 56 Chevy 2 door hardtop. I am 72 years old and not as computer savvy as a lot of folks, but I am very sincere. I appreciate your response and any help will be appreciated. John

It may not show in the picture, but it is part of the assembly in the link I provided.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member

Thanks again, I'll check it out. John

Registered Member

Member #:3018
    John, the real deal steel and goldenstar panels are exactly the same. I believe you would need part#'s DO13-553PR and DO13-553PL. Not sure where you're located but you're likely to get a better deal if you can find a RDS/Goldenstar retailer local. I paid $475 for my cowl, no shipping costs either.

Here's a company who has them listed at $431 if you're trying to buy them online... ( I prefer buying local and inspecting before paying, sometimes the panels get damaged in shipping)

https://www.c2cfabrication.com/colle.../body-a-pillar

Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up! I looked mine over real close with the body man today, and we decided to repair what we have as they aren't as bad as I thought when he first called me. Thanks again for all your help. John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12