Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roof rust repairs

Member #:2017
    My nephew Chris stopped by to help this morning so we decided to work on the roof a bit. Added a guide coat and skimmed across it with the vixen file to show the high spots...

To help keep inside and outside guys on the same page, some reference marks were added from the door opening back, on inside and outside of the roof.

Worked the highs and lows, and thought we'd compare it to the other side. Making a profile template to match the good side...

Shown at about 6, 12, and 18". We're getting close..

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

I had a request to show how I made the profile template I used for the roof.

Start with a profile "blank" and span the profile you need to copy.

Using a compass, open up the span to insure it is wide enough to make the mark on the blank on both ends ...

Don't rotate the compass as you move it, this will make the radius larger than the original. Keep it "locked" pointed in the same direction as you glide across the roof surface, leaving the profile to cut....

Cut with a band saw, jig saw, tin snips, whatever is easiest for you and most accurate. Test fit and adjust as needed.
    Robert

Member #:777
    I prefer to use a counter gauge when necessary

The shop's new apprentice started last night, so hopefully we can post project updates a bit more frequently
    We did some more metal bumping on the roof repair. We had some high spots to address, so Kyle held the shot bag on the inside while I used the body hammer on the outside.

I used the blunted pick end of this hammer to address the narrow high spots. I've found it helps to more precisely locate your "strike area" by laying a guide finger next to it. Tap down the area, move to the next....

We did have a larger high spot that made use of the hammer face, and on the bottom side Kyle held the donut dolly in place. This made short work of bringing down the high spots..

Note the "graduated" markings on the roof are also on the inside to keep inside guy and outside guy on the same page with hammer and dolly alignment.
    Robert

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123