Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Dropped Engine in and a Question

Registered Member

Member #:3477

Dropped Engine in and a Question

Hi Guys:

Dropped the engine in the 55 Wagon today.

its using front mounts as well as a TH 350 side mount kit for the trans. Went in reasonably well, though valve covers are tight at the firewall and Headers look like a headache.

Heres my question, I am using a TH 350. If I ever swap a trans it will be a 4 speed Muncie m20. The pivot and Zbar would be in a different spot than factory 55 if I used a Muncie. Since the factory three speed pivot is in an absurd spot and right on the trans mount, should I just cut it out? Its welded but a whizz wheel will take it out easily. That would free space at the trans mount. So cut or not? I think it needs to come out.

Here are some pics of the install. Many thanks for the opinions!

Attachment 7723

Attachment 7724

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The clutch z-bar pivot for a Muncie and for a stock 3 speed will be in EXACTLY the same place. No reason for it to move.

Also it's not all that close to the trans mount. Maybe you're seeing something else.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    In addition your turbo side mounts will go away If you use a stock bell for 55 or the correct scattershield..

Registered Member

The motor is a 1967 Nova 283 "194" casting. The pivot point on the block for the Zbar is not in alignment with the stock 55 pivot. I neglected to mention that it was a 67 Nova block.

Its very close to the side mount kit for the TH 350.

MarkM, correct. Its just way close to the Side Mounts from the Danchuk kit.
    Last edited by scorpion1110; 09-10-2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The pivot ball boss on any later block, including the Chevy II block, is useless for a 55-57. The 55-57 inner pivot is bolted to the bellhousing, it's mounted on a flat bracket. If you don't use a 55-57 bellhousing (or a Lakewood which can mount it too), then you can buy an aftermarket inner pivot that uses two outer bellhousing to block mounting bolts. This inner pivot lines up with the one on the frame, if the car had a manual trans from the factory. Pivot balls that mount to the block are too far forward and too high for the linkage to work.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Unless you want mechanical linkage, a hydraulic setup is always an option, and frees up some room. I love mine on a Muncie trans. Very smooth , easy, with perfect engagement. I'm using a Howe TO bearing $149 btw, with a LUK clutch with the bent finger pressure plate made for hydraulic clutches.

Registered Member

Got it! many thanks as always. Every time I post I end up smarter.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I was just thinking. Has anyone tried an old school dual quad set-up with twin fuel injection carbs? That would be interesting for sure.