Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Cars/Trucks with Fat Tires

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Quote Originally Posted by JT56 View Post
    Just imagine not having to cut and weld tubs ect...Just being able to buy a narrowed rear end with some new wheels
    Cutting tubs is easy these days. There made of plastic lol...

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why wide tires have to go with narrowed rearends. If you want a deep-dish wheel, yes you need to narrow the rearend to get that look. One problem I see is spring placement. To install a narrowed rearend you may need to move springs inboard, depending on what type of suspension the car has. How do you narrow this Camaro rearend?

I can understand wanting bigger factory tubs for larger tires but I think some muscle cars already allow for that. The Camaros have pretty big factory tires. The ZL-1 uses 11" rear wheels with a 305 tire, so the tub is already pretty big. It may handle an even bigger tire. I don't think the ZL-1 has unique tubs. How big do you want?
    Big is better? Not in all cases. Granted, the metalurgy today as compared to days past is a whole lot better however as the tire size increases the load on the components also increases. It's the rule of three. Increase/modify one thing, modify three others - never ending.

Member #:1608
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why wide tires have to go with narrowed rearends. If you want a deep-dish wheel, yes you need to narrow the rearend to get that look. One problem I see is spring placement. To install a narrowed rearend you may need to move springs inboard, depending on what type of suspension the car has. How do you narrow this Camaro rearend?

I can understand wanting bigger factory tubs for larger tires but I think some muscle cars already allow for that. The Camaros have pretty big factory tires. The ZL-1 uses 11" rear wheels with a 305 tire, so the tub is already pretty big. It may handle an even bigger tire. I don't think the ZL-1 has unique tubs. How big do you want?
    I friend has a RT Challenger and looks ok from the side, but get behind it...looks wimpy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12