Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New family member

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    I managed to fit a shock bar in under the pypes exhaust.
    I had some Oddball galvanized thick wall tubing that just clears everything.

Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 01-18-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Member #:115
    Wow that looks a little tight. Hope it works out and you don't have and rattles. What are you using for a rear suspension? Do you need the snubber?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Wow that looks a little tight. Hope it works out and you don't have and rattles. What are you using for a rear suspension? Do you need the snubber?
    I here you. I hope I can avoid rattles too. The exhaust itself has only about 1/4 inch of clearance to the frame and floor without a shock bar. It exits to the out side of the frame and over the rear leaf. They have a nomad installation on the pypes website but it is probably stock height.

Yes I need the snubber but maybe not because at the moment the axle snubbers will hit the frame first. I only have about 2.25 inches of travel right now before it will hit the frame snubbers. I ordered Detroit Eaton 6 leaf wagon 2 inch drop springs. I installed them (one of them) and could tell they were not drop springs. After getting what I thought was the typical run around by the sales staff they connected me to the head guy. He started the same bla bla about car needed all the weight in it and I told him look stop with the sale bs these are not drop springs. So after several emails I proved to him they sent the wrong springs. So He was now mad because I called him a salesmen and he started trying to justify he had 38 years of spring design experience. So the guy ask me how much more you need and I popped off it looks like I need about 4 more inches. So I emailed him and said instead of making them 2 inch just send me 3 inch drop springs this time and we should be good. So I sent them back and they returned in a few weeks. When I checked the work order he sent the expert spring designer marked 3.5 inch drop on it. They don't even offer a 3.5 inch drop springs. Anyhow they are real flat. I'm considering having them re-arched again locally to raise the back by 1 inch. I like the current stance but plan to tow with it so I figure I need at least 3 inches of suspension travel. I ordered the new varishock grand touring shocks that just came out. I'm putting Camaro shocks on the back sense it is shorter now with the lowered springs and shock bar.

I'm hoping a 9 bolt rear pumpkin isn't any bigger than the stock as far as clearing the bar. I really need to determine that because I'm considering that upgrade.
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 01-19-2015 at 06:50 AM.

I got my new original reduce diameter (16 inch) steering wheel in the mail it looks pretty good. The guy did a great job on it best I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    I only have about 2.25 inches of travel right now before it will hit the frame snubbers.
    Aren't the axle snubbers like 2" tall? That means you have 4.25" between the axle and the frame. Stock is 5.72" at curb weight so you really only have a 1.5" drop.

What is the distance from the axle to the frame hump?

I'm hoping a 9 bolt rear pumpkin isn't any bigger than the stock as far as clearing the bar. I really need to determine that because I'm considering that upgrade.
    What's a "9 bolt"? Are you putting a 9" in it? I had the impression the pumpkin is quite a bit bigger, but others can verify.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I'm not near any, but I think the snubbers are a lot taller than 2".

Judging by the difference in ring gear size, a 9" axle housing is going to be around 3/8" bigger in any direction than a stocker. This assumes the designers used the same internal clearance.

I have some new snubbers at home. I'll have to measure them. I guess then from what you guys are saying these wagons did not have much suspension travel to begin with. The curb height was 5.725 and the design height was 3.625. If the snubbers are 2 inches tall for example then the design height must be a dynamic load condition at full suspension compression because we would only be off the snubbers about .10 inches at design height. Perhaps I can just get by trimming the new snubbers a bit and leaving everything as is. My shock bar in its current location is just over 3 inches above the stock pumpkin at its closest point. If a 9 inch is only about 3/8 bigger I should be ok I would guess. Worst case I can always joggle the shock bar to clear it but would prefer not to.

Rocky, I don't understand what you're saying.

The stock distance from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame is 5.725" at curb weight. If the snubber is 2" tall, you still have 3.725" of suspension travel. The distance at design LOAD (maximum load) is 3.625" so you still have 1.625" of suspension travel. I just looked at some snubbers and they look to be 2-2.5" tall...I didn't measure them.

Cutting off the axle snubbers is an option, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, though.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Sorry my bad I did the math wrong. I stand corrected.
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 01-19-2015 at 03:22 PM.

I Finally recieved my new shocks (fronts) and both my hellwig sway bars. I have no excuses now for completing the chassis mockup and welding. I have been working on my exhaust down pipes and they have been kicking my azz but after 2 days of struggle I finally got them figured out. With only given amounts of prebent mandrel pipe angles and trying to mate to the pre bent pypes cross over was tuff to say the least. Own a easier note I have the ls2 plumbed to a factory rad thanks to those who have already figured out hose part numbers that work perfect!!!! made it a breeze. I am also starting to mock up the air intake progress goes on.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast