Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New family member

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Thanks 55. I was planning to use autometer gauges as shown in the picture. I also considered classic instruments who make a tech speedo and a matching 4 sweep gauge in 3 -3/8 size. I have sense decided to stay totally stock using an xbox to drive the speedo and display the rest of the gauges via obdii wireless to an Ipad in the glove box. If I dont stay stock I'm going with the DD vhx gauge set.
    Rocky

Scored a new bumper. The first time this x gasser has had one in several decades lol.

Member #:2442
    Rocky, What size are your wheels and tires? They look nice on your Nomad. I'm still on the fence as to what style wheels I want for my 55. The Trans Am wheels I have will fit but for sure are not the style or size I want. At least they are a good starting point size wise though.

Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    Rocky, What size are your wheels and tires? They look nice on your Nomad. I'm still on the fence as to what style wheels I want for my 55. The Trans Am wheels I have will fit but for sure are not the style or size I want. At least they are a good starting point size wise though.
    Thanks they are 17x8 zero offset wheel tire is 255/45/17 nitto 555. I plan to run a 255/55/17 when done. Its 27 inch tall. I may run same tire on back or considering going to an 18x9 with a 265/50/18 on back. If I can fit a 9 inch on the front (looking like it gets close to upper ball joint) I plan to run 9 inch wheels on all 4.
    Rocky

Member #:1653
    Taking shape!

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    Scored a new bumper. The first time this x gasser has had one in several decades lol.

Thanks much Nick. I'm still busy trying to fix the rust. After I get the passenger side Qtr and rocker patched I plan to pull the body and install a complete front floor assembly. I have been busy lately checking the steering radius loss I have with the setup I chose after the long drawn out suspension analysis thread. As Rick L pointed out it might not be Idea for autox. I checked it against my cutlass and I have slightly less than it has at full turn and it could use more radius on an Ax course. I contacted the suppliers of my components and learned that I do have a true zero offset front brake system. I mounted the rotor on my stock drum hub and the rotor is .25 thick so I assumed the wheels are pushed out by .125 each side but turns out they are going to go inboard .125 when I install the brake kit hubs because they are machined down to accommodate the rotor thickness. this means I will loose a little more radius than I have now. I can turn stop to stop with the 255 tire with out the hellwig bar installed. It also turns out that the CPP zero offset kit runs bigger calipers than the standard kits I upgraded to willwoods. I also learned the mounting brackets do not limit the steering like some other kits do. I was surprised I assumed they did. Anyhow I thank I will just live with the loss sense I don't plan to do much Ax in this car. But it looks very achievable to run a 255 tire up front and get full steering with a zero offset brake kit but one would have to buy or build a splined front sway bar with flat arms running back to the lower A arms. Or maybe I could switch to a stock 7/8 bar and gain some back. David AKA hellwig pretty much said that the 1-1/4 bar will rub with a stock drum and tire. Sense my ls2 engine placement limits steering already and I would have to move my engine back I'm going to just live with as is. It looks like Dave is running a 255/45/18 on the front of his 57. If I can clear the upper arm ball joint I might switch to 18's in front and run 18x9 wheels on all 4. I'm looking at running the 265/50/18 in back that looks like what he has also. Even with my nose dropped 2.5 and the rear 1.5 I'm still nose up. The 265 tire is 28.4 dia hoping to get a little rake if I can.
    Rocky

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 03-17-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Ok I went for it. A/C vents located. All 4 in Dash.

Member #:115
    You actually CUT a stock dash?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    You actually CUT a stock dash?
    Somehow I knew you would approve lol. I choice function over form I guess lol.

Finished one of the last mockup task before removing all the front sheet metal for blasting. I mounted the intake and filter thru the core support. I thought I was going to have to design and build a mounting brackets to support the 4 inch tubing but thanks to C'nut for pointing out that the spectra air filter I had originally purchased might be a bit small in terms of airflow so after cutting 4-1/4 hole in the core panel I took the spectra air filter over to my 14 inch chop saw and cut the wire and paper element off and used the rubber flange as a gromment to hold the tubing in the core panel. It worked perfect and gives the system some flexibility while holding it firmly secure. My baby will soon be going to paint jail... I hate paint jail lol. He want have as much work now after stripping the tailgate and hitting it with a wire wheel it looked like swiss cheese in a few places so looks like I will be buying a new repop.

Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 06-07-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast