Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabricating battery brackets

Member #:2017

Fabricating battery brackets

Yesterday evening's task was to build new mounting brackets for the 55's battery tray..
    This bracket supports the battery tray, bolts to the core support..

This bracket spot welds to the bottom of the tray and bolts to the inner fender.

This bracket goes on the wheel side of the inner fender well as a backer to bolt through.

The tabs spot weld to the ends of the tray for the battery hold downs..

Now just need to finish drilling holes and weld the parts to the "new" tray..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:1608
    Nice Job Robert

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    nice, thanks for sharing Robert.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:1653
    A couple of questions: Did you fab this with your new magnetic brake? Your Blue Point Hole Cutters, do you like them better than drill bits? Do you have to use a pilot hole for the arbor or just a center punch depression? Do you have the larger kit? Nice work as always Robert.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    A couple of questions: Did you fab this with your new magnetic brake? Your Blue Point Hole Cutters, do you like them better than drill bits? Do you have to use a pilot hole for the arbor or just a center punch depression? Do you have the larger kit? Nice work as always Robert.

Nick
    I did all the bends on the press brakes. I was worried given the short flanges and the 14 ga that it wouldn't have been as crisp on the bends, but I very well could have been proven wrong. On that subject, here is a link to the original inventor of the Magnabend, line item 7 lists some helpful hints on using the machine..

http://aaybee.com.au/Magnabend/Magnabend_Homepage.html

The hole cutters do a nicer job than large drill bits in that they don't distort the metal like the drill bit does when it grabs as it goes through. Having said that, the Blue point cutters were used on the tab piece's holes into a 1/8 pilot hole, although they are intended as punch depressions. There still is some of the wobble effect you see in hole saws, due to the center point movement within the arbor. The hole cutters are a decent set, but given the center point's loose tolerance I wouldn't call them a production environment tool. The kit only goes to 3/4" diameter. This is a kit I got with a bunch of other used body tools a few years back.
    Robert

A while back we had made the brackets to make up three "reproduction" battery trays based on a 1955 Chevy factory air conditioned car.

The only part that did not come with the used original pieces we had as patterns was the factory hold down with it's attached "zee" bracket that secures the battery hold down to the rear of the core support, as seen here in the factory assembly bulletin.

We recently mocked up the battery location, and made a zee bracket based on the picture and the dimensions we had in front of us.

Now to make the remaining two brackets for the other two battery trays.. A roll former die in the press brake was used to make the vertical bends.

A bit of tipping using a press brake die as an anvil, and then using the tipping tool...

The finished brackets and a comparison....

Robert

Registered Member

Member #:2581
    Awesome work as always. Wish I had your skills.

Registered Member

Member #:2876

where do i find this

Quote Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
    Yesterday evening's task was to build new mounting brackets for the 55's battery tray..
    This bracket supports the battery tray, bolts to the core support..

This bracket spot welds to the bottom of the tray and bolts to the inner fender.

This bracket goes on the wheel side of the inner fender well as a backer to bolt through.

The tabs spot weld to the ends of the tray for the battery hold downs..

Now just need to finish drilling holes and weld the parts to the "new" tray..

where can i find this bracket to buy them? i need some parts for my 1955 and i cant find anything for this kind of battery tray

If you are looking for function only in moving the battery off the firewall and not worried about originality, adapt a 57 battery tray to your 55. If you're looking for a reproduction as shown for the 55-56 factory AC car, we should be doing a small production run when I find time to get them drawn up for the water jet machine.
    Robert

Member #:227
    Quote Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
    If you are looking for function only in moving the battery off the firewall and not worried about originality, adapt a 57 battery tray to your 55. If you're looking for a reproduction as shown for the 55-56 factory AC car, we should be doing a small production run when I find time to get them drawn up for the water jet machine.

Will the kit include the battery hold down with the mods for group 24f battery and "Z" bracket attached as shown in the pictures

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast