Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seat belt reinforcement plate attachment

Registered Member

Member #:571
    My main argument against the epoxy is how do you know you achieved the bond strength advertised? I work with epoxies, urethanes, and potting materials at work often. What we find is that they are very sensitive to what you're applying them to and they are also sensitive to process variables and surface prep. Also to shelf like, storage conditions, etc. I think you'll know whether you have good plug welds. If you don't think they are strong enough, increase the quantity of them, or increase the diameter of the plug.

Member #:115
    Rick, did you change your position on this?

"The plate's attachment to the sheetmetal needs only minimal strength."

If it only needs minimal strength, then what's the big deal? I assume it's because the plate is in shear? The way I look at it is that the epoxy bond strength is about 4 times the shear strength of the bolt. Even if I only got 25% coverage, It would be just as strong. I think I can do way better than that. Epoxies are used to put airplanes together and to hold panels on cars. I think today's epoxies are very good, and this area has no moisture, heat, or anything like that.

I have never done a plug weld through a 1/8" plate onto 20 gauge sheetmetal. Seems like it might be trickier than two pieces of sheetmetal together. The 1/8" plate is on the side that I need to weld from.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

In a way I changed my position. In my original reply, I was thinking of a seat belt mount on the floor - on a horizontal surface. Then you came back and said you were doing the 3 point mount - on a vertical surface. There is a difference in the loading between the two.

As for the epoxy vs. the welding - well I know which one I'll count on if I weld it. Also, I did my plug welds from the thin side - the easier side.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 05-03-2014 at 08:44 PM.

If I plug welded it from the thin side it would be from inside the inner quarter. I don't think that's feasible. I should have done it when the quarters were off the car, but who was thinking about seat belts then?

I'm a little concerned about being able to plug weld reliably from the thick side, although I could try it on some scrap pieces.

I suppose another option would be to use grade 8 bolts to mount the plates.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Why don't you put the 1/8" plate behind the sheet metal? Then you could plug through the sheet metal rather than the 1/8" plate. And the retractor mount bolt would also hold some of the load. In fact I would not do it any other way. If you epoxied it on the outside, you would be relying 100% on the epoxy.

I thought the whole point of the mounting plate was for it to be on the opposite side of the sheetmetal as the retractor. If I put it inside the quarter, it will be on the same side as the retractor. I welded a nut onto the plate, so I would have to cut a hole in the sheetmetal for clearance, so I don't see how the bolt would support anything. I would have to take the nut off the plate and use a loose nut, which I could do.

If I epoxy the plate to the "outside" which is inside the car, both the epoxy and the mount bolt are holding the retractor.

Maybe I didn't make it clear. The retractor is going between the inner quarter and the outer quarter. The plate would be on the inside of the car, just behind the side panel. So the sheetmetal would be between the retractor and the mounting plate. Maybe I need a picture.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Ok I get it now.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Do you smoke cigarettes also?
    Hell no , but I am not a pussy either. The goverment and insurance companies want met to so. hell no.
    Last edited by markm; 05-04-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Member #:777
    OK, but you lost me after "want"

Registered Member

Member #:238
    Lazlo,

Please post pictures of how you're doing your seat belts. I always like the creative solutions you come up with.
    1955 Bel-Air Convertible
    1956 150 2 Door Sedan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast