Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: need help with valve cover issue

Registered Member

Member #:2181

need help with valve cover issue

I recently installed power brakes in my 55 Belair. The valve covers on the 396 will not clear the power brake booster. I have roller rockers and need to get some valve covers that will allow for clearance for them and not interfere with the 8" power booster. Can someone tell me how they have handled this problem? thanks a lot.

Member #:1608
    I put an offset booster from CPP on mine. Mine is a SBC, but they are the tall sheet metal ones. Will post some pics when Im on my own pc. I assume your BBC is mounted in the stock location?

Member #:1653
    Looks like this:

Member #:115
    Another solution is to go with a Hydroboost power brake booster. If you have power steering it's an easy (though not inexpensive) upgrade. You get better braking than with a vacuum booster, especially if you have a lumpy cam in the engine.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2181
    yes it is mounted in the stock position. I purchase the PBB from cpp....didnt know they had an offset unit. I was thinking that maybe the valve covers that you have on yours NCW might work with the angled profile. I found some and I can return if they don't fit....just out the shipping charges. I will take the PBB off....put the valve covers on and then reinstall the PBB to see if it will clear doing it that way. Actually, I would prefer just using OEM steel valve covers with the notch if the roller rockers would clear internally but I am hearing that they won't. I will also check on the hydroboost unit. since my PBB is brand new, should be able to sell without taking too much of a beating. Thanks for your help guys