Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem moveing V8 radiator to 6 Cyl position.

Member #:777
    Look for the date on the tank, Is it a 55 or 56 radiator?

The difference may be in the inlet tube position not the cap. As you know the 57 only core support top bar is curved, raised in the center area, lower at the ends. With the top tube moved off to the driver side this will allow the radiator to sit lower on the core support. Your radiator with the top tube in the center must rest on the highest part of your core support thereby raising it relatively speaking.
    Last edited by Maddog; 07-09-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Member #:39
    Thanks for the replies Maddog and Chevynut. The radiator is as low as it can go. The upper neck is resting on the core support. I think notching the core support would weaken the front end too much. I don't have a date code. It is a U.S. Radiator for a 1957 V8. I put a straight edge across the core support. There is only about 3/8 of an inch difference at the center of the curve on the core support.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Take a look here. http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20C...anual/13-2.gif

I'm betting the 57 6 cylinder radiator mounts lower than the others. Notice the curved inlet neck. I'm betting the hose end of that inlet is in the same position as the radiator you have - which means the top of the tank is lower.
    Last edited by Rick_L; 07-09-2014 at 05:11 PM.

You are right Rick. But I have not seen one that you can buy that has the neck coming out of the top like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Clint7 View Post
    You are right Rick. But I have not seen one that you can buy that has the neck coming out of the top like that.

That drawing is somewhat exaggerated. They come out like that but not as drastically as the pic shows. You need a new radiator young man. Look at the pic I provided that's how they really look.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I think Maddog is right on this one. Part of the clearance comes from the inlet and cap not being centered, and there's a fairly big crown on the tank's top. You can see it in the photo.

I went to U.S. Radiator and got the pic for the V8 and 6 cyl. I superimposed one over the other. It looks like the 6 cyl neck is about ˝ higher in the tank than the V8. Also it looks like the auto trans bottom tank is deeper than the standard. Hope you can tell from the pic what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by 5Clint7; 07-09-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Uh yea, you need a different radiator

Registered Member

Member #:4296
    Hey 5Clint7, I've been reading this post as I have the same problem with a radiator I mounted on 6 cyl side of support bar and hitting the underside of my hood. Did the 6 cyl radiator you purchase fix your problem? If so can you direct me to which one you bought?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast