Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: windshield "problem"

Registered Member

Member #:2181

windshield "problem"

After looking for suggestions on gasket purchase I ended up getting a soft seal gasket for my 55 Belair HT. The guy came out to install the windshield and could not get the stainless trim to fit perfectly back in the gasket channel. He is a very experienced installer and has done many. It's like the SS trim does not go into the gasket far enough and "stands up" higher than the rubber gasket. The SS trim is original not repo. My question is...do you think the problem could be the gasket? If so, What gasket would you recommend. Thanks

Registered Member

Member #:571
    First question is what gasket does your installer like? After all he's doing the work. And you say he's experienced.

The T&N gasket is considered the best by most. They do not have a good website and at one time they didn't sell direct. Best to contact a dealer. One stocking dealer is East Coast Chevy in PA. (They are a great source for many other things too, as well as knowledgeable folks.)

Thing is, Soffseal usually comes up as second to T&N, with few complaints.

There are maybe 3 or 4 more sources. Most agree that the Danchuk gaskets are the worst.

Member #:230
    I will agree with what Rick say's i have danchuk weather stripping in my 55, i purchased a T&N weather seal and the quality of the T&N is hands down better then the Danchuk i have also compared to other seals such as soft seal and steele at local car shows and the result is the same the T&N seal is the best and i get asked as well where to buy them. Rick has given you a good source and the one i used was Cliffs Classic Chevrolet out of Portland Oregon.
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Registered Member

thanks for the info. The installer actually had good things to say about the soft seal brand. It fit the windshield very nicely and fit well against the glass. It is the trim that doesn't want to fit very well into the gasket...it's almost like the "slot" that the SS trim fits in is too shallow. Thanks again...I'll get it figured out!

Member #:115
    Take a thin steel ruler and measure the depth of the slot, then compare it to the SS piece to see if that's the problem. I'm wondering if he's not getting the SS all the way down in the slot. Seems like hundreds of other guys have used the T&N seals with no problems.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:39
    The stainless has to go in the seal before you put the windshield in.

Registered Member

chevynut...that's exactly what I did when he left last evening. It appears as though the slot is not as deep as the SS extension is long?? I went back and looked at my invoices and I did in fact order a T&N but they sent me a Soft Seal. I just came in from the garage and I took the gasket off the windshield and with the rubber slot opened I inserted the SS trim just to see if it would fit correctly...it doesn't. When guys say "I think T&N is better" I wonder what they are basing that on...fit on the windshield...ease of installation....etc...or is it lack of defects? Have you ever heard of a gasket not having a deep enough slot for the trim? I guess I will go ahead and purchase a T&N gasket..and make sure they send me a T&N!.. btw, looked at your pictures and all I can say is WOW!...beautiful cars