Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS Headers - which one?

Member #:2052

LS Headers - which one?

Need some help/advice on what headers I should be looking at for my LS swap. Most of the threads I've found are fairly old and I would like a current opinion.

Mid length or long tubes (if long tubes, would prefer they do not hang below frame as car is lowered).

Vehicle specs:

'57 w/ '02 5.3 & 4L60E
    Earle Williams side mount LS motor mounts
    Stock steering set up with CPP 500 power steering box

Thanks in advance

Member #:226
    I don't have a clue as to headers, but after eyeballing Chevy truck exhaust manifolds, I am going that route. They should be quieter.

Well, I was going to go with Sanderson mid-length, but after two phone calls to them, I was given three different part numbers for my application. Each one looks different as well. Bummer. Back to square one.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Hooker and Hedman both make long tube headers for LS swaps into 55-57s.

I don't think what's on the market has changed much if any.

Someday Earle Williams will probably offer something with long tubes, who knows when.

I don't keep up with shorty stuff like Sandersons, they probably have something - just a matter of figuring out which one.

Street and Performance will have something too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Hooker and Hedman both make long tube headers for LS swaps into 55-57s.

I don't think what's on the market has changed much if any.

Someday Earle Williams will probably offer something with long tubes, who knows when.

I don't keep up with shorty stuff like Sandersons, they probably have something - just a matter of figuring out which one.

Street and Performance will have something too.
    Thanks Rick. Was just looking at the long tube Hookers. They look really nice. Do you know if they hang down much below the frame, if any at all?

Member #:530
    Hooker 2289hkr.jpg

Hooker makes a long tube header for LS engines, that should fit nicely into your Tri-5, and be tucked "above" the bottom of your framerails DEPENDING ON how high you spot the motor mounts at the front of the engine AND where you spot the transmission mount at the rear.

Hooker 2289 HKR look it up on summit racing.com They include O2 bungs welded in, and are about $550 + tax and shipping.

Now, in hindsight...I wish I had bought these for my LS conversion in my Nomad (ChevyNut's C4 frame conversion) because the ones I bought were Hooker 2293 HKR which were for a tri5 with a Unisteer Rack & Pinion setup. The driver side tubes interfere with the steering column geometry, so I had to notch and weld up one of the tubes to keep from interfering. That isn't the end of the world, but it looks like a mis-matched "Driver's side" header on a very custom build. The passenger side header fit fine AS IS.
    The collectors on my 2293's definitely sit above the bottom of the frame rails, and will be piped thru a diagonal cross member welded in to strengthen the twist tendency on these frames.

DSCN1215.jpg

In order to get the tubes to fit "thru the frame", the LSengine/T56trans sits higher than the old stock SBC/T350 did, and therefore demanded that I do some fairly aggressive trans tunnel and firewall mods to get it to fit. It sit higher than the stock firewall/tunnel would allow. I wanted to re-do the firewall anyways, so that wasn't a big deal to me. You might be so far along on your build that you don't want to mess with a painted firewall now?

DSCN2295.jpg
    Last edited by WagonCrazy; 08-21-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:2039
    Don't hold your breath for a Williams Classic LS header.
    There are way too many competitors on the market as it is.
    I'm not sure we could do anything that hasn't been tried already besides a larger tube diameter.

We have been using the short patriot headers for a while.
    The only issues so far are the water line on the back sometimes hits, and some aftermarket coil covers have to be modified to clear them.
    Oh and our preferred oil pan designer keeps changing the design without changing part numbers so they don't always clear the way we'd like.
    But you didn't hear that from me

-Nathan

Member #:230
    Here is a source to look at http://www.555657.net/ not sure if they have exactly what you are looking for but it might be worth talking to them about your build.
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Member #:115
    Check out the ones in this thread....

http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthr...ighlight=kooks

Paul, I thought your headers fit well. If you used a longer than stock steering column like I did (35") the shaft should have easily cleared the headers. I wonder how the 2289's would work, but I sure like those Kooks headers!

20091117_1848.jpg20091117_1849.jpg
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:115
    Paul, the 2289 Hookers are for are for a 68-72 Chevelle.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ho...make/chevrolet

Here's the 2292's (L) and the 2293s (R) both made for 55-57 Chevy LS swaps. It looks like the 2292 might be a better choice for a C4 steering rack setup, but not necessarily for a stock-type steering box. I think we discussed both sets of headers when we built your frame. It's possible that the 2289's would work well too.

hooker 2292 55-57 LSx.jpghooker 2293 55-57 LSx.jpg
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast