Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Fixing poorly shaped 55 rocker panels

Member #:2017

Fixing poorly shaped 55 rocker panels

Have been working on door fitment lately, and with the lower corner of the door fitting better, it becomes all the more obvious how poor of a reproduction these outer rocker panels are. The "concave" radius does not match the fender to the front or the quarter to the rear of the rocker. This would have been a good fix using the Wheeling machine with a Go Kart slick, had it been noticed before installation.

Matching the lower anvils of the Wheeling machine to the radius on the quarter, this one fits the best. Also notice how it doesn't fit as well in the rocker panel..

At this point I thought I'd try a "portable" version of the Wheeling machine to add a bit more radius to the rocker panel.

Built in guide......

After some "wheeling", and some bumping of the leading edge with a door skin hammer:

Just to show the comparison, before

After:

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:115
    Pretty cool stuff Robert, and it turned out great. Do you need to fix the quarter panel too, or is the radius okay there? It looks like the gap widened between the rocker and the front of the door now. How do you plan to address that?

It's just amazing to me that these companies get away with selling crap like that.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2017
    The quarter panel isn't as bad as the rocker, but don't think it has as much radius as the fender either. Not sure if that is by design, but was blatantly obvious that the rocker was off. I didn't notice any variance in that door gap opening while I was laying on the floor and rolling away, so I'm going to guess it's an optical illusion from the camera being right on top of it. But I'll have to double check it now... you're just adding to my "to do" list
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    nice, thanks for sharing Robert.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.