Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: tire series for 56 chevy (rally rims)

Member #:2285

tire series for 56 chevy (rally rims)

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some input on the best tire combination sizes to give it that classic stance for a Factory 56 Bel Air rear end with 15" rally rims, I believe they are 7.50" wide with around 4.25 back space.

I have been told to run a 70series on the back with a 60series on the front, something along the lines of P205/60R15 on front and P245/70R15 on the back....give or take a tad. Have any of you tried this and or what would you recommend?

Regards,
    Ed

Member #:115
    What is a "classic stance" to you? I personally think these cars look better with a bigger wheel, like a 17, but everyone has different taste.

If you're interested in getting some rake, you should decide on what tire diameter you want and go from there. However, I think rake is more easily achieved with suspension changes, not tire size.

The tires you've mentioned have a 24.7" diameter in front, and a 28.5" diameter in the rear. I think the rear tire is a bit large, and the front tire is too small. I would tend to want something in the 26" range in front and 27"-28" in the rear. Also, I think a 205 tire is too narrow for a 7.5" wheel.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1608
    As CN stated what is classic stance to you? Take a look in my album and you will see 3 different stances with the same 15" wheels and tires. This was all done with suspension mods. Let us know we would like to help.
    Joey

Registered Member

Member #:625
    OEM 15 inch Vette/Monte style wheels come in 15 x 6, 15 x 7, or 15 x 8 sizes, I have ran 6 inch in front with 215/70/15 front and 245/60/15 rear on 7 inch. Stance will greatly depend on springs chosen and condition of parts. I would stay away from the 8 inchers on the front. I do not like the looks of these cars with big wheels and rubber band tires myself.

Member #:2285
    Thank you Guys for the input. You all made really good points to consider. I will definitely be looking closer at the overall tire size.

My version of classic stance is more along the lines of big tall fat tires on back with smaller ones on front to elevate the rear of the car. In my eyes that's a muscle car. But opinions vary and that's what makes us who we are. I'm not much of a fan for the real Big wheels so Suspension mods WILL definately be looked at much closer going forward.

In the meantime, I've also contacted a local tire shop and the owner said I can bring the car down and he will mount a couple of variations for me to see on the car.

Thanks again for your input, have a Blessed day.