Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 49 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:2017
    Some progress from this past weekend.... trimming the painted aluminum panel prior to bending the long folds

Installed.....

Added new hooks on the safety chains

....new wiring harness,

....fabricated a new handle and used a bicycle grip, replacing the duct tape repaired original....

Roof seams were sealed using mesh to help make the repairs more permanent..

All ready for some keg action.. Painted panel was owner supplied, he had ordered it to make an outfield sign at a local ball field, re-purposed it to get the keg trailer back in one piece for a large wedding this coming weekend.

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:516
    Looks great, maybe bring it to my house and I'll make sure it works!!!

Well I think I have google images figured out now, so lets try an update on the wagon.
    With the back seat rear enclosure and it's frame both sprayed in epoxy, time to assemble the two together. I didn't want to use hardware/rivets on the skin as I thought it would stay flatter under the upholstery without. Also, with the amp and bass speaker inside the enclosure, we needed something to limit vibration of the adjacent pieces. Our choice is to use some body molding adhesive tape to join the two together.

The tape is applied to the frame, and then the skin attached on top of that..

Next, we need to work on our console and the shifter inside of it. We have the console that came with the 2002 Monte Carlo interior, but it has far too much plastic that it didn't belong. In looking at other options, we decided on the horse shoe shifter used on the Chevelle. In conducting a test fit of the cable, we found it's trajectory path was much too straight where it either lifted the front of the shifter, or pulled the bulkhead fitting out of the "tunnel" mockup.

Shifter lift:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9-HXW7oNYg

Our solution was to raise the cable exit from the shifter housing higher in order to have a better arc of the cable for entry through the floor. Here a "relocation bracket" has been added:

Bracket all welded in place, looks like this will work for our shifter, return policy officially void now, but cable path fits much better through the floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LySdi8tifvQ

We also needed to finalize seat belts for the rear seats. These are 12 gauge CRS pieces that are plug welded to the floor pan, 1/2" diameter bolt holding the anchor points for inner seat belts.

The outer belts needed to be all the way out to the wheel well, and to better "anchor" we made similar 12 ga brackets, this one with a hemmed end to "hook" the pinch weld seam of the floor pan/wheel well, then plug welded in place to the wheel well. Again, a 1/2" bolt will anchor the seat belt:

While Mike and Jake started the layout of the console.........

......I fabbed up some bucket seat brackets out of 16 ga CRS for a 37 Ford. These had to be 3" high and only 1-1/2" wide, which was too high for my gooseneck die in the press brake. Chose to make them in two pieces and fusion tacked together using the TIG.

Last edited by MP&C; 11-02-2017 at 04:24 AM.
    Robert

Console fabrication

Bottom and under dash edges are hemmed, folded flanges will support the filler panel between each side..

Fitting up the corner radius

Robert

Some sprayouts done this evening to see if we can nail down a color for the green.

Will take another video tomorrow in the Sunlight for the true test.
    Color 1: Corvette Limerock Green
    Color 2: Land Rover Kosrae Green
    Color 3: Audi Azores Green
    Color 4: H/K Organic Green Kandy Basecoat
    Robert

Sunlight views in same order,
    Color 1: Corvette Limerock Green
    Color 2: Land Rover Kosrae Green
    Color 3: Audi Azores Green
    Color 4: H/K Organic Green Kandy Basecoat

Didn't get pictures in overcast, but these help to show, 1-3 don't show color well at all in overcast or dim/indirect light conditions. As we'd like the car to look green regardless, we're leaning toward the H/K

Robert

We got the wagon parts pulled out of the booth this past weekend where we had them stored during the metalshaping class.

Getting back to tying up some loose ends.. Mike cuts out the driver side of the console..

All ready for thinning the bend lines..

.....while Jake and I worked on tipping the edge on the second seat bolster..

Robert

Been in Florida the past couple weeks for the day job, got back in time for Saturday's shop day. Jake worked on the rear seat bolster, the top profile was traced from the one we made for the driver's side but this mark needs to be on the opposite side for us to tip the flange. Easy transfer is to use a punch on the line to transfer the mark's location through the panel and then trace..

....and then he used various round anvils for hammer forming the corners.

I got started on welding in the corners of the passenger console side...

This might work yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8wdVuMI-I

While Jake was tipping flanges he needed some stretch in the crowned area. Looking at the too many pieces that came out of the Erco, it's possible that Jake has too much kick. We made some new spring plates out of 1/16 stainless sheet..

Back in business...

Robert

Member #:115
    Hey Robert, it looks like you still have the wagon body on your rotisserie . Can you tell me the distance from the bottom of the front and rear body mounts to the center of the front and rear rotisserie pivots? I want to set mine up pretty close before I put the Nomad body on it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Laszlo, IIRC they are set at 13-1/2", and prior to installing any interior parts, was balanced perfectly. Now that we've started putting some interior parts inside, we're finding it more top heavy. So depending on your intent, you may want to adjust accordingly.
    Robert

Page 49 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast