Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 51 of 102 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:2017
    More console progress today, started off using Rotacutter to put a hole in the transmission tunnel for the shifter cable. The bulkhead seal that came with the cable has some mounting holes, we'll use some AVK style rivet nuts for ease of installation/replacement.

More anchors welded to the floor, some "crossmembers" fabricated, and welded into the console.

To locate the holes in the crossmembers, some spotters are set in the anchors, console placed, and crossmember tapped from above to mark.

Next we need to close off the front of the storage cavity to give us an anchor point for the latch. So we started the fabrication but found some limitations in our acute dies for the press brake.

Not quite enough bend, so we opted for a piece of sharpened 12 ga cold rolled to give us a bit more....

Trimmed and welded in place...

Video version:

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

We were originally going to hinge the console lid along the passenger side, but thought it would be better accessible from either front seat if it was hinged at the rear. We're using the same hinge as we used for the widened glove box door. In our attempt to add a torsion spring to keep the lid upright in the open position, we couldn't find the size to fit our 1/8" diameter hinge pin with enough torsion to hold the lid open. (Yes, even McMaster failed us) So we decided to wrap our own. Here's a fixture we made for the Aloris tool holder on the South Bend to act as a guide for the 1/16" music wire.

We also installed the older 3 jaw chuck, but not before adding a "wire catch"

Here's a video of us wrapping the spring... As my South Bend lacks slow enough speed for such a task, we opted for manual rotation..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvJAIk1-Cs4

Here's the positioning and function of the hinge with torsion spring installed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPPY2dVOzmQ

With our hinge now positioned, we also found we needed to move the hinge closer to the rear edge for better lid clearance while open. Back up and punt you say?

Robert

Didn't get as many pictures this weekend as I'd have liked. While I worked on some final details on the console, Jake made some cardboard templates of our rear armrests. These will also serve to hide the seat belt retractors for the front buckets, as well as the rear speakers.

Here Jake transferring the pattern to some 19 gauge cold rolled, cleaning up some of the lines as well...

I was welding in the front cross piece that Jake made to the console and had some underside welds to do. Sometimes we make it easier on ourselves, especially if we can't weld upside-down all too well..

Suspended from the door track...

The hinge at the rear now moved rearward, metal added for mounting the hinge and securing the "storage recess".

Robert

Member #:530
    I'm diggin' your console build. Wish I had all the metal working tools you have when I get ready to do mine. Great job of documenting how you built yours. Thank you!
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Thanks for checking out the build!

OK, here's our update for the past couple weeks..

We're working on getting the seats ready to go to the upholsterer, and these 2002 Monte Carlo seat belts just aren't cutting it...

This these belts are riveted to a bracket that stands off from the seat, and we'll need to stand off our replacement as well. So the rivets are removed and the new seat belt gets bolted to the same bracket using 1/2" bolt, grade 8. The "new" seat belts look much more vintage correct.

With console in place and bezel checked to proper height, anchors are set in place for welding to the floor pan. Bolted to shifter plate for proper alignment and standoffs used to provide space to get in there and weld...

Next, our replacement for the parking brake pull handle didn't fit just right so an extension was added that will use factory holes, we do need to drill the firewall for the studs out the front end..

Robert

Jake's progress on the rear seat kick panel...

Tipping wheel on the Fasti folds over the top flange that will hold our arm rest..

Bolting bracket that will secure the kick panel to the inner quarter..

And here we're cutting out our console lid...

Thinning bend lines for a more crisp bend...

A piece of round rod in our magnetic brake gives us radius-ed corners...

A few passes in the Tommasini Wheeling Machine gives a bit of crown for better support

Corner details TIG welded in...

Corner detail test fit...

There we go, all caught up!
    Robert

Registered Member

Member #:3678
    Loving your build Robert.I recognize your home made kick panel retainer plates that are welded to the toe boards.I bought the last two sets you made years ago on that other site.

Thanks, don't forget to prime/paint them before you weld them in so the tabs will have paint on them when folded up.
    Robert

Member #:1653
    As always, Robert, you amaze me!

Thanks Nick!

Bucket seats have gone to the upholsterer's and we're getting closer on more parts to send him....

Robert

Page 51 of 102 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast