Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 54 of 102 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:2017
    Progress on the wagon...

Mike got the new fuel tank all prepped with the fuel pump...

Tank mocked up so we can do test fit/fabrication of the filler neck down to the tank...

An elbow will be needed to join these two together.

The local NAPA store had some smooth elbow exhaust pipe that we used to fabricate the complete filler neck, all the pieces were TIG welded together, and Dana powder coated the assy black for us.

Bracket we fabricated for bolting to the floor flange.

Next, the drip rail area was scuffed well and the car inverted so we can seal the bottom of the drip rail to the top of the quarter area. This is using the self leveling sealer, so we needed to counter the gravity effect.

Next time we'll get the top side done..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

We found a flat spot in the drip rail that needed to match the rest, found a suitable worn jaw pair of Vise grips that was ripe for modification.

https://youtu.be/RgMLgJQ9Uqw

Member #:530
    I dig the ingenuity of your tool making Robert. Good work and thank you for sharing video content. I learn by seeing & then doing....
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3
    Thanks for showing us Robert,
    Now I can try to fix my rail on my car

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:115
    It's cool and all, but where's the GREEEEEEEEEN?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    Splendid work!

Well, we've had about a month long hiatus as I've been in VA for the day job. Back to some wagon progress, we made a sanding block for the drip rail, this will get some PSA paper applied and sand away!

We did have a back up and punt moment. The factory style radiator that we had from Be-Cool did not have quite enough room behind the core support to use a cooling fan. Plus, it was questionable if the size would be enough for the 383 cooling needs. So we are going to use a cross flow, specifically the aluminum version for a V8 S10 pickup. Of course, this will require modification of the core support.

Shown above mocked up with the splash pan, the stiffening edge along the c-channel follows the splash pan. We need to insure any future version also clears the splash pan. Also note the three drilled holes in the side adjacent to the blue sharpie. These were added for our version of the AC car battery tray, so having the new upright just outside the old will allow us to bolt to the new upright on the inside, and keep the battery tray in the same locaton.

So the hired help started grinding out the spot welds that hold the lower radiator baffle in place.

After some modification, one side is taking shape. We will likely add some rings to the weldment to route the water hoses to the front side of the core support.

.....and more progress on the core support... Note comparison to old core support, we've added 3" in width to the opening.

As with most changes we've done to the wagon, we try to keep them subtle enough that they could be mistaken for factory.

Like so.....

Still need to add mounting brackets for the radiator and fabricate a new baffle, but happy with the results so far..

Yesterday we got some seam sealer applied in the drip rail. I had tried a few different brands over the years and have to say I'm really liking the Norton 97121 epoxy sealer. Really smooths out well.

Spreader was modified to help get things consistent, as well as pull the sealer up into the hemmed edge...

Robert

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Wow, your radiator support widening job was way more elegant than mine! Nice work.

Member #:2442
    Nice job on the core support mods. I have been looking at S-10 V8 conversion radiators for my 55 so I'll be interested on how that works out.
    Brian

We couldn't go any wider because of needing to bolt up our AC car battery tray and still have all of its parts still align, so the uprights had to go in that location. With our inside width at ~ 26.5" and the core width at 26.13", we will need to use some round sleeves for the hoses to come through the uprights. So Rick, it may be elegant now, but it has a good case of ugly on the way! Good thing for side baffle covers!
    Robert

Page 54 of 102 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast