Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 28 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:115
    Wow you're kicking butt on that chassis. Looks good!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2017
    Working on another header clearance issue...

Removed the factory carriage bolts, they will be replaced with some grade 8
    hex head bolts, and to add more clearance we'll get rid of the nuts inside and
    use some locking heli-coils..

....for much better clearance.

More parts added....

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Well the stainless lock nuts showed up today, so we pulled the third member, cleaned the mounting surfaces, installed a new gasket and torqued things down.

We also had taken delivery of the Explorer brake kit that gives us shoes inside the rotor for the parking brake. So we have some Lincoln Versailles parts if anyone needs some...

Went digging through the brake hose selection at the local Napa store, Guy Auto Parts. This should work for the rear, front hoses should be here Saturday.

Now we need a bracket to anchor the hose end... We came up with this design using 16 gauge CRS, and planned to clamp it under the U-bolts...

Now looking at it, I'm not sure I want the U-bolts off the axle housing, and may just cut the ears off and plug weld the bracket to the housing. Thoughts?
    Robert

Member #:2442
    I would just weld a bracket on if it were mine, although it would suck to have to repaint anything at this point. Maybe you could drill and tap the housing to bolt on a bracket, but then you'd have to make sure no metal chips end up inside.
    Brian

Yesterday we took delivery on an 8' piece of pipe, 4-1/2" OD with 1/2" wall thickness. Will come in handy as the column for the pedestal planishing hammer build..

A bit more clearancing for the header tube. Perhaps this fine tuning will also add a few HP...

Didn't show too much detail on the Explorer brake install last week, so let's see if we can do better today.. The "kit" was designed for the big bearing rear housing with the Torino ends. As luck would have it, the Lincoln Versailles used a big bearing early style, so we'll need to align and enlarge some holes..

Bolted in place using two opposite holes and the included metric bolts, we used the axle bearing as an alignment tool for the backing plates..

Then used a right angle drill for better access in drilling the holes..

This worked for all but one hole that was directly in line with the axle pad.. So we had ordered some shorty 1/2" bits, and still had to take another inch off the length and step the diameter for the drill chuck.

Backed into a corner? No problem!

And here's our final version on the brake hose anchor bracket, by popular demand!

Then this will get epoxy primed along with the other bare brake parts and we'll just touch up the plug welds after welding in place..

Robert

With the new brake parts all prepped for paint, and the owner not too keen on blue Monroe shocks (I told her it was Ford blue just to instigate), time for some more Epoxy this evening..
    Meanwhile Kyle worked on repairing the cross piece for my brother in law's press that we tore up the other night. seems the "peg" hanging down didn't have room for the long axle under, so I put it next to it. We cracked the weld around the peg and pushed it in pretty good. So to make sure he'd let us use it again, we got some replacement parts...

The brake anchor brackets had been spread apart and a quick coat of SPI sprayed on the inside, then clamped closed with NNVG for the remaining spray session.

Quite the clamping conglomeration...

....and the rest of the parts...

After the shocks first coat of epoxy had flashed, they got two coats of the silver Imron...

Robert

Member #:227
    looking good, great attention to detail in every step

Thanks Bill!

Well soon after the 35 Chevy returned from GNRS, Cody had it blown apart again to tackle more items on the to-do list.. One of them being inner fenders, which he had asked if we would punch some louvers in those as well. He hand fabricated these parts, seen here:

He had quite a bit of work in these and had suggested shipping them down, but we aren't that far apart so I suggested meeting in the middle to pass off the parts rather than trust them to shipping. So we guessed on Parole, MD as being close to a good midpoint, and picked the Double TT Diner to grab some breakfast and catch up on his trip to Pomona. Kyle and I arrived and had made about one lap through the parking lot when Cody pulled in, so this worked to be a good halfway point between Southern MD and Milford DE.

Here's what we picked up....

This has a tighter radius than what we had done for the hood sides, so for the punch to better follow the contour, or sit perpendicular to the point of punch, we plan on a rotational fixture attached to the linear slide that the "trough" of the inner fender can be rolled from side to side.. More on that to come..
    On the way home from Parole, we made a stop to look at an old fire truck that was slated for a total restoration. We did a quick survey of the truck and made some recommendations to the owner.. While we were there, also stumbled across another 35 Chevy. These 35's are coming out of the woodwork it seems..

Back in the shop, getting ready to re-assemble the rear. Test fitting the rear axle bearings, as the brake kit had come with some .250 thick spacers...

My vernier depth gauge showed that the actual distance was .203, so some trimming was in order...

With all the parts now test fitted, we took the rebuilt press parts back and gave them a trial run...

With the press back in business, the only thing left to do there is to add it in the mix the next time we spray some epoxy, and I generously offered some of the leftover orange from the trailer wheel painting, but my brother-in-law seems a bit apprehensive.

Brake line brackets were removed from the paint stand, and this is the first time I noticed these Vise Grips had a Gene Winfield fade paint job on them..

Brackets were plug welded to the housing, welds scuffed and touched up with some SPI epoxy..

Newly painted shocks were reinstalled, and rear brake parts all installed..

A bit closer....
    Robert

Registered Member

Member #:2581
    Perfect the way you mounted the break line holder. Nice work!

Thanks!

After finishing some louvers this morning, we turned our attention back to the wagon. We started installing the brake lines and found the "kit" the owner had purchased was far from a direct fit. here's the booster and master cylinder we're using...

As the kit had no lines to fit a 9" rear, we used a stick of stainless tubing that was left over from the Fairlane job and bent our own.

Robert

Page 28 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast