Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 76 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:2017
    So a few months back when we bought the Powell Hammer there was this tubing notcher sitting there. It was for sale as well and I knew exactly who needed it. One phone call and it was sold minutes later to my buddy Mike Phillips in Downingtown PA. I brought it to my shop to hold it until he had a chance to come pick it up..

In the meantime, Mike had some equipment he was selling. I had my eye on a press brake and Cousin JB (upholster in Fairfax SC) could use his jump shear. So Saturday was the day for equipment delivery/swap, Mike and his wife Stacy made the trek to Southern Maryland to the shop and dropped off my new press brake, dropped off JB‘s new foot shear (until it can make it to SC) and picked up the tubing notcher that I’m sure will be a welcome addition at Phillips Hot Rod & Customs for the next cage install.

So once we get the new press brake hooked up we will likely have one or both of these leaving...

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:3217
    It appears that in addition to doing great auto metal work, Robert is also doing his part in helping these heavy duty machines find a new happy home!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Like the 743 looks just like mine , handy machine.

Thanks for the comments guys..
    The 743 was a life saver... something like that is a must have for moving equipment. It's not mine, called in a favor...

The manual press brakes are 24" capacity, the new one is 36" capacity. Since the new brake is taller, it would block the cabinets bolted to the side of the paint booth if we put it where the other two are sitting.. So the metal spinning lathe will assume that location.. when the manual brakes have vacated, and the new one now goes where the lathe used to be. Gotta love the equipment shuffle.. We got the power hooked up last night....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wed2H2QHdb0

Robert

More progress on the wagon, more bumper action. Part of the problem with using three pieces to form the bumper with a nice wide bumper guard to hide the overlaps, is there is less of a smooth transition from end to end. So in using those individual parts to make a single bumper, we need to trim to correct this. While on the car, painters tape is used to lay out a smooth transition from end to end.

An air body saw is used to cut off the bulk and roloc sander for cleanup afterward...

Jared has been helping out with the bumpers, here making tight fitting plugs to fill in the old bolt holes for a smooth look on the outside.

Our front bumper center section had a bit more damage to repair, the center section showed it had been used to pull/tow/?? in a previous life... As the car was pulled, it added some creases as the center pulled outward..

A bit of off-dolly with a rather large hammer and we're much better now.

The center section also had a stepped flange on either end so the outer pieces would be flush when mounted. As we are making one-piece bumpers, the step is trimmed to length and the step is flattened using a precision flattening device..

Video version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCuKjivvr7Q

Next, we wanted shaved fasteners but also still wanted some fine-tune adjustability. So that eliminates the old weld bolts on the back side caper.. Next option was a bracket that accepted the carriage bolt but also allowed some adjustment side to side. This design was graciously shared with us by Laszlo as he had done on his 56 Nomad build (see here: https://www.trifivechevys.com/showth...final-assembly ). So we started with 2 x 2 x 1/4" thick square tubing. The 1/4" thickness allows for the height of the "square" of the carriage bolt, and we cut down on the width to just enough for the carriage bolt diameter, both to minimize size of the bracket and also to minimize the tendency for the center of the bracket to pull outward.

Square tubing is cut to length and sliced and diced as shown...

Adjacent parts are beveled to insure full penetration on the 1/4" thick material..

A 7/16 hex nut is used to maintain the 3/8 width so our weld does not close up the slot when the weld shrinks while cooling..

The part is then cleaned up, here is our finished part that will weld to the back side of the bumper...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFZePcoMK-U

Meanwhile Mike has been working on electrical wiring, here getting the interior light wiring in place so we can load up and take to the upholsterer for headliner installation..

Robert

Banned

Member #:2775
    Nice work!

Thanks!!
    Robert

Got two press brakes in the shop available if anyone needs to do last minute Christmas shopping for the wife/girlfriend..

Brake #1 is Diacro 16-24 MANUAL press brake, 8 ton, SN J-1500. Comes with the home-made stand you see it on, and the dies that are installed. This one has the fully functioning back gauge, a must have for repeat bends. None of the junk laying under or next to it is part of the dealio. Modestly priced at 2100, about half of what they're on eBay for. Diacro makes good product and they hold their value.

Back gauge in operation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiSnrZCJC_g

Brake #2 is Diacro 16-24 MANUAL press brake, 8 ton, SN J-1353. Comes with the home-made stand you see it on, and the dies that are installed. These are radius dies, two sets. Yes they are different heights, just installed both sets to show them. This one is missing some parts to the back gauge. None of the junk laying under or next to it is part of the dealio. Modestly priced at 1800, about half of what they're on eBay for. Diacro makes good product and they hold their value.

If someone would want both, which would assist in fabricating the rest of the backstop for the second brake, package deal for 3750. No shipping, prefer you come and kick the tires. We can load onto your truck/trailer. Located in Leonardtown MD
    Robert

Lower price, shipping offered!

Year end sale, last chance for a tax deduction for the year.

Diacro 16-24 MANUAL press brake, 8 ton, SN J-1500. Comes with the home-made stand you see it on, and the dies that are installed. This one has the fully functioning back gauge, a must have for repeat bends. None of the junk laying under or next to it is part of the dealio. Modestly priced at 1900, less than half of what similar ones are on eBay for. Stand has a full shelf for storage of dies. These brakes are 24” wide and rated at 16 gauge capacity. Ideal for a small shop or home garage where space is a premium.

I would prefer the buyer come and kick the tires, and we can load onto your truck/trailer. Located in Leonardtown Maryland. We can help prep for shipping if needed, buyer pays all shipping costs. I also have a second one if someone would like a package deal..

Back gauge in operation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiSnrZCJC_g

Second machine...

Year end sale, last chance for a tax deduction for the year.

Diacro 16-24 MANUAL press brake, 8 ton, SN J-1353. Comes with the home-made stand you see it on, and the dies that are installed. These are two sets of radius dies. Yes they are different heights, we just installed both to better display what goes with the machine. This brake is missing some parts of the back gauge. None of the junk laying under or next to it is part of the dealio. Modestly priced at 1600, less than half of what similar ones are on eBay for. Stand has a full shelf for storage of dies. These brakes are 24” wide and rated at 16 gauge capacity. Ideal for a small shop or home garage where space is a premium.

I would prefer the buyer come and kick the tires, and we can load onto your truck/trailer. Located in Leonardtown Maryland. We can help prep for shipping if needed, buyer pays all shipping costs. I do have two available if someone would like a package deal.

Last edited by MP&C; 12-29-2020 at 08:42 PM.
    Robert

Well we are about to get started on some automotive electrical work when the wagon returns from Upholstery, and in an attempt to limit/eliminate any need for butt splices, I was looking around for various automotive "W" crimp terminals that were available. I found a gem of a store, www.repairconnector.com that carries much of the old style crimp on terminals, as well as some of the newer stuff. We do have some new light fixtures going in, and to help in eliminating excessive connections (ie: butt splices) I found they carry the replacement terminals for lamp base sockets.. (and terminals for fuse blocks, and.....)

Some of the terminals we just picked up from Repair Connector

Typical replacement light housing has pigtails that will require some type of splice...

New lamp base terminals from Repair Connector

These terminals will help us get rid of some splices..

If you have a need to repair/replace any of your automotive electrical wiring, give them a look, they may have something you can use..
    Robert

Page 76 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast