Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 64 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:2442
    Those turned out really nice. I like the look. Great work as usual!!

Member #:2017
    Thanks!!

Had a busy weekend but didn't get anything done.
    Saturday I went to the 15th annual Jalopyrama, this year it was held at the Talbot County Community Center in Easton, MD. I didn't get many pictures this year as there are far too many people taking pictures with much better cameras than I had (iPhone). This year's theme was a focus on vintage race cars, and the indoor arena was filled with dragsters, gassers, etc, as well as some of the nicest hot rods to be found on the East Coast. I did get a shot of my buddy Dirty Dave's gasser, which is basically his daily driver. Odd to see it indoors as much as he drives the wheels off it! haha..

Next to it was the "Hamb Special", a vintage pickup classed race truck built for Bonneville, making it's debut on the salt last year. Owned by John Mullen of Lanexa VA, built by John and many of the members of the VA Hamb. My buddy Dave Russell gets the piloting duties on the salt, and we caught up at the show and talked shop.

It has a 262 Ford 6 cylinder, but caught the attention of many of the racer's inside the building when it was being brought in. That idle didn't sound much like any 6 cylinder I've heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ot0UTIhtv4

….and I did get a picture for Joe Unger. This truck would look awesome in front of his Sinclair station in Perry..

Sunday was another car show, this one a bit more local for me, put on in downtown Leonardtown by the St. Mary's Rod and Classic Car Club to benefit Hospice and many other charitable organizations.

We set up in front of John's shop, along with his Biederman truck, and a couple tables of our fabrications. Got a bit too much Sun, but really enjoyed getting out and talking to everyone about their projects.

Last night was repair time for a dirt car. We had a severe fold/wrinkle to remove to get ready for next weekend, and with little in the means to "pull", we resorted to some MacGyver action on some Vise Grips...

That should hold it for this weekend.

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

So last weekend I went to Ron Yeager's shop in Kingsville, MD for a metalshaping workshop. Reconnected with some old friends and made some new ones.. Thanks to Ron for opening his shop so we could all learn some new tricks and methods..

Today I got another speaker trim ring put together.....this one for the sub in the cargo area of the wagon. We planned on a recessed crest in the stainless mesh, so the mesh was aligned in our aluminum plates and pressed in the Diacro press brake using flattening dies.

Video Version....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWMT...ature=youtu.be

Robert

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    thanks for sharing Robert, very nice work as usual.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:115
    Really nice Robert. I think the 45 degree mesh orientation really worked well.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Spent last night getting an assembly line going to get the rest of the speaker grills assembled. Just say no to plastic speaker grills!

Robert

Well it's been rather hectic around the home front as E is nearing graduation. Seems like yesterday she was showing me how to properly wet sand bare foot..

For shop activity, Mike has been working on a sign for a "Drummer's Lounge", since we had the wire edging tool already made up for the Biederman, he used that to give the outside bands of the arrow the beaded look...

CAD drawing:

Parts is parts:

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y47I...ature=youtu.be

Meanwhile, I've been block sanding, and priming.... here the rear kick panels are now ready for upholstery...

I did break out the Meco torch again the other day to get the dust off....

This first coupon shows how Peter Tommasini teaches tacking in gas welding. Tack a spot, then the next is placed where the HAZ (blue ring) touches the seam between the halves. And repeat. Note how this method leaves an almost perfect HAZ for minimal distortion..

And we had a blowout. Don't stop, keep going and come back to it.. This is fusion welded, no filler, front side shown first, then back side

Stephen has been mocking up the power windows in the front doors so we can side step all the components and find a good location for our speakers. No pictures yet, I'll get some this week...
    Last edited by MP&C; 05-28-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    Robert

We're making some speaker "adapter" rings to be able to mount the speakers in the door. We used some 18 ga CRS to form rings, the seam was gas welded.

The outer flange is started on the Fasti-werks bead roller using the tipping die and the lower die we made last week.

Once it started to resist the tipping (needs stretching of the flange) we changed to using the linear stretch dies in the Lennox TE250

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX0gzPlqXEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATRYXZ-I3CU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KRturFOdHA

Originally we were looking at using the area below the power window motor, but in order to clear the power connector it would be too close to the bottom of the door...

With not much else for room in the door, we opted to open a hole at the rear area of the inner hinge brace.

With space above for the tweeter, this will closely mimic what we have in the rear kick panels..

The rings will get TIG welded in place, but before that we'll add a bit of structure back in the hinge brace.

Last edited by MP&C; 06-13-2019 at 09:35 AM.
    Robert

Member #:115
    That's pretty much where i ended up putting my speakers too but mine are a little aft of that location. I really didn't want to cut the brace out but I had to cut a little of it. Nice job on those rings.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:3611
    Great work and engineering Robert

Page 64 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast