Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 63 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:2017
    Mike did some component assembly today so we could make sure things fit before powder coating brackets. Good thing we did..

The AC condenser bracket came with the Vintage Air setup, and we bought the alternator bracket to match... I'm not really keen on the mix of vintage air cleaner and AC condenser in front of it, but I think the owner would frown on the lack of cold air exiting from the dash..

While Mike was working on those issues, I added some color to our paint sprayout sample.. It's too cloudy out today but we're hoping for sunlight tomorrow to better show what this will look like. Until then, Milwaukee Sun...

Video version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhfk84YrQtY

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:115
    "Condenser"...you mean compressor?

Is there a way to mount it down low so you don't see it?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

yeah, yeah.... so I was just seeing if anyone was reading this stuff....yeah, that's it...

Here's a sneak peek at our speaker trim rings just back from DGM Chrome in Philly. Looks like we'll get a couple set up with the stainless mesh so we can show them off at this weekend's car show in Leonardtown..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OOk...ature=youtu.be

Robert

Cool! Very nice looking rings. Are those aluminum? Are you going to try forming the mesh? I really like that look.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

The trim rings are aluminum, we also had the heat deflector for the fuel lines replated since we had trimmed it to size. The mesh will be pressed to give it a raised area just inside of the trim ring, so it won't be totally flat....
    Robert

Member #:3
    Rings look great , I also love them air Cleaners

Thanks for posting this stuff so all others Can see your Great Talents

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Thanks Sid!

Since we got our freshly chromed speaker trim rings back from DGM Chrome in Philly, it only stands to reason that we need to put another sample together for the car show in Leonardtown on Sunday. So today I stopped by Norris Upholstery and picked up a scrap to cover one of the kick panels to make it more presentable. Fake upholstery, if you will..

We planned on adding a plateau to the stainless speaker mesh rather than flat, so some pressing fixtures had been cut out on a water jet for us..

Comparing the flat to the plateau....

installed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrOES4xQv2A

This might even work....
    Robert

Member #:3611
    have you considered making any for 6 x 9 speakers ?

Those grilles look so much better formed than they would have looked flat...much more professional looking. I was curious how you were going to do that and I figured you'd use wood for the form. Looks like the aluminum worked great. Great work! I need to do something similar on my door and rear speakers and they're weird shaped, so I'll have to make a pattern.

How did you determine the difference in size between the two die halves and the thickness? Did the stainless form fairly easily? Was there much springback?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Quote Originally Posted by BeachGirl55 View Post
    have you considered making any for 6 x 9 speakers ?

Actually some upholstery guys helped out tremendously in fabricating these, one had a water jet, the other (my cousin) used his router table to round over the exposed edges, and provide a relief for the screen mesh. Then another water jet cut out our press fixture plates in 3 different sizes. So given those tools, 6x9's wouldn't be too far out of the question. Unfortunately I don't have all that capability in house. If you have any local waterjet places, they could help get you started..

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Those grilles look so much better formed than they would have looked flat...much more professional looking. I was curious how you were going to do that and I figured you'd use wood for the form. Looks like the aluminum worked great. Great work! I need to do something similar on my door and rear speakers and they're weird shaped, so I'll have to make a pattern.

How did you determine the difference in size between the two die halves and the thickness? Did the stainless form fairly easily? Was there much springback?
    The thickness of the press plates was 1/4", we allowed about 1/4" gap between male and female so the "ramp" would be roughly 45*.. The stainless is available in various wire gauge and opening size. Actually the smaller (tweeters) use a smaller opening pattern than the midrange speaker next to them, so they would appear the same proportionally. Springback seemed inconsequential.. The grill for the sub will have multiple pressings, one to include a recessed crest emblem. That one will be the test.. McMaster sells a sample kit of the mesh to help in picking out your size, pn is 9231T11. For the sub we used 5 x 5 mesh (5 openings per inch) p/n 85385T31. For the midrange, 8 x 8 mesh, p/n 85385T42. For the tweeters, 10 x 10 mesh, p/n 85385T48
    Robert

Page 63 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast