Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 73 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:530
    Awesome! Now what? sand and buff the clearcoat? what are the next steps...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:2017
    Exactly, cut and buff and then they have all the other body parts to paint
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Well yesterday was homecoming, Jared and I drove up to Annapolis to pick up the body from Absolute Rod and Custom Paint. Really pleased with this green paint, it does catch your eye.

Gotta love a tilt bed trailer for loading a rotisserie...

All strapped down for the trip south...

A stop for fuel and then we headed to the Wednesday night meet at Leonardtown Arby's... I think that's the slowest traffic has ever travelled south out of Annapolis, we had quite a few people breaking their necks, slowing down to give the thumbs ups, etc..

With that done, we can finish our spring cleaning in the shop and get this set back down on the frame..
    Robert

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    looking forward to seeing it back on the frame. What you've done so far is amazing

Member #:4399
    Car look sweet on the fixture. Can only imagine how it will look on its own four wheels!!! Awesome work as paint is only as good as the work to prep for it from my training.

Registered Member

Member #:4482
    Fantastic looking car. I just joined and have not seen the whole build but what I have seen so far it is perfect. It gives me inspiration on my new project. I will be following the rest of the build. Steve

Member #:3217
    My wife tells me that Green is my favorite color! It's really not, but I do like most greens, and I REALLY like the dark metallic green on Robert's '55 wagon~

Thanks for all the feedback guys!! Yeah, Brandon and the guys did a bang up job on the paint.. Will be turning some heads when Dana takes it out.

We stopped by the upholstery shop on Friday, they had the console ready...

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfvtDpCNpCU
    Robert

Well I think we're long overdue for a wagon update. Yes, it is back in the building....

And we should be setting the body back on the chassis this weekend. We've been buttoning up some last minute things on the frame before a body makes accessibility more of a challenge. The cable for the O2 sensor up to the EFI was about two feet too long, so we ordered another connector and shortened it up a bit.

In order to better hold things from bouncing around, a large Adel clamp is "massaged" to better fit the shape of the Bosch connector, and yet remain loose enough to remove the connector if need be for any future troubleshooting needs..

….and here's our leftover.

Next, we had transmission cooling lines to run, which means straightening a coil of stainless 5/16 line....

This should be straight enough....

We had to insure clearance around the inspection cover and starter, so those were temporarily installed...

We found these fancy stainless "cable ties" at McMaster, but even using a banding tool to tension it, the "tang" retention allows it to loosen slightly before the tang locks in.

Since I had recently picked up a pair of Pex crimpers at a pawn shop for cheap, we thought we'd give those Oetiker clamps a shot for keeping things snug.. Looks like this may work!

Top side...

Bottom...

The crimpers/pliers we used... $15 at a pawn shop...

Running the radiator ends...

And then some other superfluous stuff, we got the second vent bracket welded up last night

And even though it's off in the near distance, it's about time to repaint the tag so DMV can register it to the car (1955 only had one plate in MD)...
    Thought I had some bus paint that was close, but looks a bit too light..

But playing with some mixing ratios online, I may be able to use some of my one shot lettering paint as a tint to get us much closer...

And since the rest of the bits are now being cut and buffed, we better get the body on the frame to make some room in the shop..

….and between all that, we made another set of window dividers, these going to Dallas for the restoration of a 57 wagon...

Robert

Member #:530
    You've been busy Robert. We appreciate seeing your progress. Thank you for posting pics. That green wagon is gonna be a show stopper!
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 73 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast