Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 74 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:2017
    Thanks!!

Last night we got some details crossed off the list, our radiator sits on the front side of the core support but the overflow can't stay on the front side as it would spew all over a painted splash pan. So we marked the core support baffle to align with our overflow AN fitting and as Jared was drilling the hole and installing the grommet, I got to bending some 1/4" stainless tubing. Now it will drain behind the frame rail...

Since McMaster had made a delivery we got some of the Oetiker clamps installed. Yeah, I think I like this cleaner look...

My buddy Jeff Ford down in Aiken SC was working on installing a floor pan patch and had omitted the flange in the radius corner below the toe panel.

So in addition to busting his chops, we put together this video tutorial so he could do the next panel in one piece. Hope it helps someone else as well..

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:3217
    Robert,

I just wanted to let you know that I (as someone who is far from an accomplished metal worker) appreciate your tutorials... ...

Registered Member

Member #:4482
    Very nice detailed work. Love seeing the pics. Keep them coming. You are at the fun stage of the build. Steve

Banned

Member #:2775
    Looks great. Wondering why you didn't run the overflow line into a recovery tank with a rubber hose?
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 10-09-2020 at 04:13 PM.

That area is a bit congested, the AC lines will be going through there, and the battery sits on the back side of the core support. So we opted for the open overflow.
    Robert

Well today was slated as lift-off day. So we got our lifting eyes installed on the body this morning and set up the lifting devices.

We loaded the frame onto the trailer, figured a winch would be easier than pushing..

Getting the body ready to separate from the rotisserie...

With the body bolted down, we moved it outside to take some pictures..

Here is the room we have behind the engine for access to the O2 sensor connector...

Our attempt to install the rear bumper so we could look at it with some chrome on the rear end did not fare well. The bumper brackets did not line up correctly, just my luck, so we added length and welded the original holes closed so they can be moved to the correct location...

Robert

Member #:1723
    Hi Robert,
    Well, that body looks just fabulous, seems as close to perfection as one could get! Thanks for the continued documentation on the great progress!
    Regards, Doug

Thanks Doug!

So this weekend we played with blocks. Made from 2x6's, and gave the wagon a lift kit. This should help in using a creeper for any underside work..

Mike wanted to get started on the wiring harness, but we thought it best to install the brake bracket assy first. As luck would have it, the plastic bushings did not fare well with the install. We took the opportunity to make bushings out of oilite bronze, something more fitting in a 55 Chevy over plastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ibn...ature=youtu.be

Robert

Member #:3217
    A 12 inch lift all the way around will certainly help...

I probably should make something similar for mine. I thought I was 'through' underneath when I removed the car from the lift, but.. it seems we're never through underneath!~

We found them about perfect for creeper work underneath..

With the brake pedal sporting new oilite bronze bushings, Mike got all the pedal assemblies installed, and hole drilled in the floor for the parking brake cable.. Then on to underneath stuff, installing the flex plate bolts and torqueing them down. We used the starter to bump the engine around, and found we also needed to shim the starter, so that was done.

The AC vent brackets were folded using the magnetic brake....

Then trim the ends and one more media blast session to get it ready for epoxy primer.

Jared and I worked on getting all the body mounts snugged down, and then turned attention to the rear bumper. In the stock configuration this is slightly wide, so we had opted for a slice and dice and making the three piece bumper into a one piece.. Thanks to Laszlo for the pointers..

We had intended to get this done prior to paint, just one of those things that slipped through the cracks before it got sent out for paintwork. We did have some rags used between the bumper and body to prevent any damage, and removed them for pictures. The final fitment after tacking:

Our data plate for the firewall had been looking pretty sad....

…...so much so that we had thought about leaving it off the nice shiny firewall..

But we had sent some pictures of the carnage to Bob at Alternative Chrome in Kutztown PA, and he said he could clean it right up and add a sealer for us.. Much better...

Robert

Page 74 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast