Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I must like brown

Registered Member

Member #:5269

I must like brown

Got my car back from the painter 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with the results. Started sanding with 3M 2000 grit on the trunk and not real happy with the scratches I am getting. Maybe use more water? They are buffing out ok. I thought it would take about 40 hours to sand and buff. Now I think about 40 x 4. Old retired guys take lots of breaks.
    I have a picture from Barretts or Mecums that I have on the shop wall that is brown and white and almost what I would like. I look to it for some inspiration when my project seems like it is going 1 step forward and a few backward.
    Not sure of how to size pictures.
    Mikepainted 1.JPG

Member #:1723
    Different color than most, looks great - look forward to seeing it all trimmed out!
    Thanks, Doug

Member #:115
    That looks like a nice paint job! I think the color is great, and will really set off the stainless trim. Keep us updated.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:4415
    With regard to your wet sanding progress, have you allowed sufficient time to pass that the paint is hardened? Usually takes a month for that unless the paint shop baked it.

Quote Originally Posted by schovil69 View Post
    With regard to your wet sanding progress, have you allowed sufficient time to pass that the paint is hardened? Usually takes a month for that unless the paint shop baked it.
    Depends on the type of paint. Urethanes can be sanded and buffed within a day or so, some in a few hours. I can't believe anyone would still be using anything but urethane.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Thank you for the input. The painter said wait a couple of days before sanding. The color is metallic bronze and is a bit lighter in the sun. More water to keep the sandpaper clean seems to be working.
    We used Valspar paint for the engine bay and trunk. The painter said he would rather use RM paint and said it was higher quality. Don't know about that but it was certainly more expensive. The painter has a good rep so we went his way.
    The odometer says 13 miles and have put 70 miles on the trailer hauling the 57 to the headliner place and for paint. Hope to change that ratio soon.
    Mike

Member #:530
    Great 57 coming up right there! Nice paint job. Stay with it. You'll soon be driving and enjoying it.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    My Dad and I used to use R&M paint in the 70s and 80s, never had any issues, I don't believe it is available around here anymore. The body shop supply market has really changed in the past 30 years. I do not recall having seen that color before anxious to see it trimmed out, appears to be a high quality job. My 56 is the more common Sierra Gold. & Adobe Beige and if I recall the firewall is painted with R&M.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmike View Post
    Thank you for the input. The painter said wait a couple of days before sanding. Mike
    Do you know the type of paint? Is it base/clear? Urethane or enamel? A couple days should be way plenty for urethane and it should sand easily. If he used acrylic enamel I don't know how long it will take.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

My 1st 57 (50 years ago) was brown. No pictures except memories so I picked up a sierra gold sample and sprayed a 2x2ft sample and it was way lighter than my memory. I found a brown that was still brown in partial light. A lot of browns look black or just dark to me. Then I had the wife pick the white for the roof. She is much better at color coordination than me.
    The painter said he sprayed 2 base coats and 3 clear coats. Urethane I believe. Paint is not a strong suit for me.
    We have been buffing with wool pads. They say step 1 on them so I ordered some that are for finish buffing. New pads sure do leave a lot of puff balls around. Using meguiars compound.
    Advise is very much appreciated.
    Miketrunk.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast