Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 65 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:3
    Looks Super & I really Like your Door Holder Upper.
    Thanks for sharing your stuff on this site, if more would do as you do this site would be the best one out there !

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Member #:2017
    Thanks for the comments everyone.. Sid, that was made as a paint fixture to be able to spray the doors off the car (note solid cinder block counterweights to keep from toppling over as you add/remove one door). All the removable parts (except hood) have a stand made that will hold them in the exact orientation as on the car, so metallic can be sprayed separately.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Mike is still plugging away on the Drummer's Lounge sign.

Saturday he started fabrication of the insert panels. One side will be plug welded in place, the other will be removeable to access the wiring for the flashing lights.

Tracing the first pattern onto some 19 ga crs, and adding mounting flanges.

The bend lines are run through the bead roller with a tipping die into the skate board wheel to better mark the bend location. Makes it easier to locate the upper press brake die as it will fall into the indent.

Since everything is a tool, and we needed to fold down a bit of metal in the inside corner, a piece of angle is chosen for it's inside radius match and a body hammer with a nice barrel roll on it does the trick...

Side #2....

While he was busy with that, I continued on our speaker mount modification to the doors. Since we had cut away at the hinge mounting structure, we needed to add strength back in that surrounded the speaker. We chose a cone shape over cylindrical as we thought that would have less chance of collapse under stress. Our pattern is cut out and transferred to some 14 gauge cold rolled, the same thickness as the hinge structure.

I forgot to get pictures of us rolling the cones, but basically as shown here with the pattern, the bend line was kept aligned with the vertex of the outer angle cuts, and slightly pressed, move and repeat, and continued until we have a good roll where the ends met up.

We plan on wire edge on the edge inside the square opening, so let's use gas welding for a more pliable weld area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEWXNOFgSas

The cone is then trimmed to fit the structure profile...

Flange is left for our wire edging of the open area...

The flange is tipped on the bead roller and then used the linear stretch dies in the Lennox to both stretch and tip the flange over to flat.

Then we use this modified Craftsman punch to hammer over a rounded void for the 3/16 wire to lay in..

Then we have some modified vise grips that have a relief cut into the top so it won't slip off the wire when clamped.

The wires were left long so they could better tie into the hinge structure, here the VEE relief is where the wire will weld to that structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEVDpRCER54

Tacked in place with the MIG, then TIG welded....

All cleaned up and then primed with some epoxy primer before we weld the speaker mounting ring in place.

Robert

Back on our speaker mounting ring, we welded on some 8-32 hex nuts on the back side....

Then the ring is TIG welded in the door...

After welding, the area is scuffed and brush painted using SPI epoxy primer.

https://youtu.be/ywadRNLIywA

Robert

Passenger door modifications, inner structure added...

…..speaker mounting ring welded in place and brush painted using SPI epoxy primer..

In our attempt to finalize all the needed fabrications before getting deep into paint mode, we had some clearance issues to deal with on the Vintage Air bracket for the AC compressor. The initial mockup showed that the upper mounting tab was too close to the tall valve covers we have on the 383 stroker. A half inch spacer under the intake mounting tab gives us about 1/4" clearance, and shows how much we need to modify the water pump mounting tab.

I didn't have much in the selection of 1/4" flat stock, so the shoulder of a 5/16 bolt was used, first the root pass and then a filler pass.

Another part checked off the list....
    Robert

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    I like seeing the custom fabricated parts, braces and brackets rather than open the cardboard box and bolt on.

The fit just right look is so rewarding. Stainless is my preferred material to work with.

Thanks!

Time to play catch-up, had a short hiatus in Upstate NY on the St Lawrence river.
    Daytime and sunset:

I picked up some louver dies that are set up for the press brake but should be the start of a louver press eventually... got both 2" and 3" dies.

I also have a couple good friends that understand my tool addiction that both sent me a link to an ad for body tools, especially for the Vise Grips. Here's what I picked up from a retired bodyman, now to keep these quality tools going. VG collection is now over 130.. never enough.

...and with the engine brackets back from powder coating, and our new 45* water neck arrived, we were able to get the belts and upper hose all mocked up. The hose we used was a Dayco 72384, made as a lower hose for a V6 Ford Explorer, but it fits this application like a glove...

Video version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TvMKp_9VH4

Robert

While I was blocking out some primer, E added some sound deadening to the inside of the door skins...

Behind each of the speaker mounts we added a section of Dynaliner…

She did a good job of that, wait until she sees how much more we have to go!
    Robert

Member #:530
    Robert,
    I really appreciate that you take the time to document your work, post it online, include your kids in this, and that (in general) you seem to care about these old cars and what to do with them.
    It's not easy to post alot of info all the time. I takes time and effort away from DOING the work.
    Glad that you choose to keep us plugged into your projects.
    i learn alot with the metal techniques, tools you have, and mostly just being creative in making tools for metal working tasks.
    Keep it up!
    Paul
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Robert, I really appreciate that you take the time to document your work, post it online, include your kids in this, and that (in general) you seem to care about these old cars and what to do with them. It's not easy to post alot of info all the time. I takes time and effort away from DOING the work.
    Glad that you choose to keep us plugged into your projects. i learn alot with the metal techniques, tools you have, and mostly just being creative in making tools for metal working tasks.
    Keep it up! Paul
    I totally agree! Doesn't anyone else here work on their cars?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 65 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast