Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 53 of 102 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:115
    Looks like you're tying up all those little "details" that take so long. I spent weeks finishing up "details" on mine but it's sitting in my "clean" shop now ready to go to the painter. Not sure if I'm doing the bedliner in the wheelwells and rear quarters before or after paint yet, depends on my painter's preference.

Do you still have "details" to finish on the rest of the parts? That's what I'm working on now. I'm also priming other parts while I'm at it.....glove box door, ash tray, door hinges, etc. It's easy to see how cars built in shops get to $150-250K.

Any scehdule yet for squirting green?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2017
    Yup, plenty of details. All the interior pieces, stainless, etc.. Laszlo, as nice as your frame is, you need everything finished to the same level of detail, IMO.. Or at least color matched...

Doesn't look like we did much, but we got the wheel wells, floor pans, and cross members scuffed up this weekend. Then applied two coats of SPI epoxy primer to address the bare spots, so now we're ready for Line-X..

Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

We were blocking out the wagon's roof today, and had a few low spots to bump upwards. To locate the lows on the inside, I thought to use one of our rare earth magnets in the center of the low, and use the body hammer on the bottom side of the roof to pinpoint the magnetic pull. These are 65 lb pull magnets that we use for our paper patterns. By a stroke of luck (blind squirrel finds acorn) we noticed in scuffing the inside of the roof that the magnet location readily appeared, for a more accurate locating method.

Video:

Robert

Member #:115
    Pretty cool. I'm curious why the magnet location showed up after scuffing. Did something stick to it? Is the primer magnetic?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I would guess it is either sanded residue from epoxy, grinding dust from using the sander on many of the weld cleanups, or a combination of both.

Had a couple questions on what the heck I'm showing in the video.. Haha... so let's clarify..

We were blocking out the primer on the roof and came across a few low spots. These were low enough to be seen in the paint if left alone, and yet mixing and sanding any filler "repair" would have taken longer than some simple bumping of the low area.

Since I don't have a Bullseye Pick, we thought to use some gentle hammering with a crowned body hammer beneath into a small shot bag on the top (outside) of the roof. We have some 65 lb pull rare earth magnets that we typically use for our paper patterns, and this showed to have enough strength to pull through the roof skin. So we placed the magnet in the center of the low area, and in order to locate on the underside, would skim across the roof from beneath with the hammer face to see where the pull was strongest. The location was then marked underneath with a sharpie, magnet removed and replaced with the shot bag, and the area was tapped into the shot bag until blocking showed the area where it should be.

On one of these "marking with a sharpie" efforts, there was a slight bit of dust on the bottom side of the roof, so I gave it a wipe with my hand to displace the dust and instantly saw the outer circle of the magnet. This was much more accurate than using the magnetic pull test, so we changed to this, and the metal bumping effort worked well. We surmise that this "dust" that clings to the magnetic field is likely sanding residue from the primer, or sanding residue from dressing welds inside the car, or both. In any case, it worked well to help transpose the low spot locations to the bottom side for more accurate hammering.
    Robert

Registered Member

Member #:3732
    I have used black diamond oxide for sand blasting and I bet a small amount applied on the bottom would show up well.

Registered Member

Member #:2581
    Is that paint I see? Won't be long now Robert, your almost done! hehe

Well, we have the new engine dropped in place.

....and she decided on fuel injection over the 770 CFM Holley (still new in the box). Of course this meant and O2 sensor bung on an already finished H-pipe. The bung that came with the FI Tech kit matched well to the outside radius of the exhaust pipe, but was rectangular in shape, and included a gasket for a "clamp installation"... As we aren't having any of that nonsense, the bung found it's way into the lathe, where a round outer perimeter will serve better for our TIG welded installation..

And after some touch up at the powder coaters....

Next, our arm rest enclosures for the rear seat needed a base for the padded arm rests. So Jake used the Go Kart slick to add some radius to 14 gauge cold rolled steel in order to match the enclosure...

.....and trimmed to fit....

These will be held in place with Mopar style door panel retainers, so we can still have ready access for any future maintenance on window mechanisms.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by DocHarley View Post
    Is that paint I see? Won't be long now Robert, your almost done! hehe

Yes, say it isn't so! Unfortunately any deviation from stock means one-off parts, and we're in the midst of making all those bits right now, So light at the end of the tunnel, but not so much that it blinds you.
    Robert

Page 53 of 102 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast